SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_sulli

confused about heat pumps

georgia_sulli
17 years ago

We're building a new house in Georgia. 2100 sq ft ranch. For the most part it's me and my wife but we get our grand-daughter on weekends and an occasional guest. My GC is spec builder but does several customs a year. He has never put a heat pump in his houses (yet their one in his own home)but his mechanical sub does them often. I did a little investigating but I get more confused as I go. My GC originally got quotes for a dual 2 ton system. He normally puts two HVAC systems in his houses. He added a propane backup at my request. I have since realized the propane backup was propably going to be a mistake.

I think the money would be better spent upgrading the HeatPump and going with one larger unit.

My questions are in regard to the two refrigerant options and the variable speed blower option. I'm told if you've never had a heat pump that R410A will be less of a shock because the coil runs hotter so the air coming out of the registers will be warmer. But does it work better, add efficiency? I read that variable speed is better but not sure if it's just hipe from the manufacturers.

Is one option much better than the other for the extra cost? My options are the following Trane Systems

Standard, 4-ton, 13 seer, R-22 system

2TWB3048, 2TGB3F48

XL14i, 4-ton, 14 seer, R-22

2TEC3F48A, 2TWX4048 plus $1900 over std

XL14i, 4-ton, 14 seer, R410A

4TEC3F48A, 4TWX4048 plus $2400 over std

Variable Speed - plus approx $1000 for either upgrade

I'm still confused....

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews