SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter1242

Garden fading fast early this year

Peter (6b SE NY)
7 years ago

After some bountiful harvests and a fantastic Spring and early summer, the garden took a fast downturn. Not much still looks good out there. All my cucurbits have suffered really bad PM, SVB, and just overall stem rot. I have a couple zucchini hanging on but that's about it. My eggplants look terrible, heavy flea beetle damage as well as fungal issues. The brussels sprouts I planted in Spring are understandably looking terrible from the heat. The cabbage side shoots have rotted, and the broccoli is not producing anything edible. The tomatoes have bad septoria and other fungal issues and I didn't have a great tomato year.

The only thing still hanging in there like a champion are my peppers. Oh, and I do have great basil that has escaped the basil downy mildew this year! Eleonora came through for me.

I planted some carrots, lettuce, and spinach for a fall harvest, and that's all I am going to do for the rest of the season. I was going to do some fall brassicas but critters ate them on the porch. Too hot and now too late to start peas.

I've got a pretty bad case of the summer burnout this year, but I will be sad when October rolls around and I will have no gardening to do until I start my spring transplants. My garden soil needs a lot of work this fall though, I didn't amend it at all really this year, so I can keep myself busy tending to my soil.

How's everyone else's gardens doing heading into fall?

Comments (23)