SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecosse_gw

Rescued minis fading fast

ecosse
16 years ago

Picked up a grocery store mini arrangement with the idea of trying to separate them using the "how to save a potted gift rose" method, before trying it on my healthy "Karina"s. A little knowledge, experience, and hopefully more minis.

Likely was a lost cause from the start- the arrangement turned out to be (8 )six inch tall plants crammed in (2) three inch pots! There was mould in one, and almost nothing but roots in either pot, totally twisted about. Was a struggle to separate them, and lost some roots. I potted them up in a potting mix, but 3 days later, they are barely surviving, all have partially wilted, some completely.

I still have faith in the method, have doubts about my execution-and the health of the plants

Would appreciate advice and second opinions.

Would it have been better to put them at first in a 50/50 vermiculite /potting soil rather than a potting soil/ perlite/ sand fast draining mix?

Use rooting hormone?

Slice massed root ball with sharp knife into pie-like wedges instead as they were so tight?

Prune them back to bare stem? Leave some leaves (if any healthy ones are left)?

Do I keep them as long as there is green in the stem (give them a chance)? If they turn all brown, finished?

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored