SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Early 2010 Garden Ramblings

elkwc
14 years ago

As I'm waiting for it too warm up before going out to do chores and move plants around thought I would post a few thoughts from my observations so far this year.

Carol as you know my pepper germination wasn't great either. Although when I potted up I had more than I thought and really wouldn't need to buy any. I might though if I see one that is too tempting. I experimented with some of the germination methods on hard to germinate seeds that I've read about and heard about. I only found one that seemed to work on the Absinthe tomato seeds. I'm now starting to try it on some of the pepper seeds. The Marconi's are one I'm going to try it on. Will post later if I have good results.

I tried several seed starting mixes this year. The Miracle Gro and Jiffy Mixes performed the best and probably the two I will use next year. I was disappointed in the Fertilome mix.

As for potting mixes I still couldn't obtain any Pro-Mix. And too early too give final impressions as I just finished potting up. I used a Ball mix, two Fertilome mixes and the improved MG mix. Although mainly Ball and Fertilome High Performance. So far plants have seemed to do well in both of the latter. I will probably use the Ball mix more next year as it is cheaper. I buy it at a local greenhouse. As soon as I finish the greenhouse plan to go buy several bags to store and also some seed starting mix. As it seems the stores here don't put it out anymore till March. Although the plants have done ok in the MG mix. It had more wood in it and dries out faster. If kept moist the plants have performed as well. Overall my impression is that MG isn't as good as it used to be. And our local stores only carried the improved and organic versions this year.

So far things are growing well and looking good considering the weather conditions. I've noticed one end of my garlic rows are growing a little slower. That end came through the ground slower also. The radishes I planted next to them have done well. So not convinced it is a soil condition yet.

Have already cut and froze more asparagus than I ever have. And only about half of it is producing yet. So will be a good to great year for it.

Horseradish has really took off. The sweet peas didn't grow much for a few weeks but this week starting taking off. With our roller coaster temps most things including weeds germinated and just set there till the last 7-10 days. The big corn farmers rolled into the fields this week. Talked to one yesterday. Understand that the commercial weather sources are saying that after this Monday night the lows should improve and they don't see any real cold lows down the road. Just about what I expected. The same as the last 3-4 years. But 2-3 weeks later than several years before that.

Better head out and check things and carry out the plants I moved in last night. Then heading down to a lock plant in Texas to pick up some meat I had processed and stop by a nursery on the way home and just do some "looking". Don't plan on buying anything. Ha. Jay

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus