SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

2011 Garden observations and ramblings

elkwc
12 years ago

I've been keeping a diary of my garden this year. I will start posting some sections of it as I get time. I just updated my tomato section tonight and will post it. Overall I can't be too disappointed when I factor in the extreme drought and heat after the severe hail. I will attach the link to my pictures even though I posted them in another thread. My Pepper update will be following in the next few days. Jay

It is too early for me to make any judgements about varieties. With the hail everything is late. I lost all of my 4th of July tomatoes to the hail and couldn't find anymore. They were fairly loaded when they got hammered. I would of had a lot from them by now if they had survived. I'm seeing some fruit set. I'm happy with what I'm seeing considering everything. I've ate 5-6 so far. What I have ate have been hybrids. But from what I've saw so far a few of the op varieties seem to be setting as well if not better now than any of the hybrids on the mid to large size varieties. I noticed greenies on Grandma Suzy and also Brown Derby when I was side dressing. My top setting cherry so far has been Sweet Treats. There are some more I know of and sure several I haven't seen yet. Fortunately the low humidity along with the lows in the upper 60's to low 70's has allowed for at least some fruit set. 8-25 update - Temps overall have remained high. Have had a few cooler days which have allowed some fruit set. Missed several rains. Overall the plants are still in better shape than the last 3 years and I'm happy overall. A few disappointments. A lot of big plants if I can just get some fruit set in time to ripen. I put shade cloth squares over all of my caged plants but had to take a few off after the plants reached the top. I'm looking at some options for next year of taller cages so I won't have to remove them as early. I also put a shade cloth over most of my sprawlers 2 weeks ago which really helped. Had a few mornings 7-14 days ago with a dew and high humidity in the morning. I have pulled only one plant so far. But have 2 more that need it. Two of them have battled Septoria leaf spot. Need to do some searching on what the 3rd one has. Seeing some minor signs of disease. Still overall disease issues have been light knock on wood.

Been picking a few Sungold everyday. It has started setting better along with Sweet Treats. Both Sweet Treat plants are setting well but have had a lull. They didn't set during the extreme heat of July. Petit Chocolate Cherry is setting well now but sure took awhile. I have Ambrosia Red in a container. Transplanted it late and it will be moved into the lean to later on. Picked my first JD's Special C-Tex last week. Was the best tasting JD's I've raised. Flavor was very intense. All of the JD's have some fruit set so should be more to sample soon. Talledega and Beefy Boy have been the heaviest setting hybrids. Jet Star has been very consistent. Moderate fruit set on the plants but none heavy. Sanibel and Jetsonic are 2 more hybrids that have decent fruit set. Randy's Brandy has good fruit set. Looking forward to sampling them. Have heard great things about them. For a Brandy type and this year being what it has been I'm impressed with the fruit set. Purple Haze F1 has good fruit set but haven't sampled any yet. Heinz 2653 has had decent fruit set but look for it too pick up. Mountain Magic has average fruit set but no ripe ones yet. Ramapo still has no fruit set. This is the 3rd year of little or no fruit set. It won't be back. Moreton is the same. Carbon has some fruit set. Cherokee Purple has some also. But not sure it is going to survive all the abuse it has took from the wind. This is one year that the caged plants next to the sweet corn with the shade cloth on top has done better than the sprawlers. The relentless wind has took it's toll. Dana's Dusky Rose has some fruit set. JD's Special Pink Heart has fruit set and looks like it will be a heart again. Wasn't sure it would be stable. It was supposed to of been a pink beefsteak and I got Pink hearts last year. The best setting heart I've ever grown. There are others that have a few fruit on them. Will do another update after the first 10-14 days of September.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Pictures

Comments (4)