SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
will_hauser

repair plaster behind bathroom tile

Will Hauser
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm in a house built in 1969. Some walls seem to be plastered - the exterior ones it seems. Anyhow, I have a shower stall (no tub) in the master bath. The bathroom is a fresh remodel done before I purchased the house about 3 years ago. Anyhow, they tiled over the existing tile. Now, the soap dish on the wall became loose and fell off. Behind it you can see where the old tile is at the bottom. They apparently removed the tile directly behind the soap dish to make room for the soap dish itself - it's resin and has a backer plate attached to its back that's about the width of a tile.
Behind the soap dish is a sort of brown plaster. It was actually in not terrible shape; the only mold is on the actual tiles sticking up at the bottom (see pic). It was, however, cracked and a bit crumbly. I attached some photos of what it looked like when the soap dish came off and then I went ahead and removed the loose plaster using a oscillating multi-tool. I took the loose tan colored plaster off down to the base of darker colored cement (you can faintly see it in the last pic - its in horizontal rows). I'm assuming it's attached to some lath and it appears to be in good shape - not cracked or loose, quite solid.
Now I'm left with this void, however. It's about 3/4" deep. What sort of plaster should I use to fill the void and how should I go about attaching the soap dish to it?
I'm thinking about using durabond plaster to fill it and then let that dry and attach the soap dish with polymer enriched thinset mortar.
I could also stick some hardee board to it using the thinset and fill the void that away (it'd probably take a very generous layer of thinset on the front and back to fill the void however).
I have neither the time nor the money nor the inclination to tear out the entire bathroom. I suspect it's poorly constructed but I'd like to make do as best I can for the time being. The folks at home depot were idiots - the most knowledgeable swore it was dry wall (it isn't) and wanted me to cut down to the studs and screw on a piece of hardee board.

Comments (6)