SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duaroger

Repair plaster behind tiles

duaroger
8 years ago

I'm in the process of re-tiling my bathroom. The house was built in 1940 and all of the walls are plaster. The plaster behind the tiles is different than the rest of the house though. Most of the plaster has fine sand in it and is on wood lath. The plaster behind the tiles has a coarser sand, is on metal lath, and is 2-3 inches thick.

The tile and plaster held up very well over the past 75 years but the tile color was revolting so we decided to replace it. He tiles bound so well to the plaster I had to pulverize them with a hammer drill (with a chisel attachment) to remove it. Most of the thick plaster behind the tiles is still in great shape. However someone previously repay aced the shower diverted and the plaster in that area broke up when I removed the tiles.

What can can I use to repair the plaster before I replace the tiles? Someone suggested that plaster is called "thick set" or a "thick mortar bed". I came across Laticrete 226 thick bed mortar but I can't find a local dealer or anyone who knows anything about it. Is there an alternative product anyone can suggest?

Comments (7)