SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_jackson99

2nd stage cooling isn't running. New system.

Jason Jackson
7 years ago

I had a new system installed last week. Lennox XP16, multistage unit.
XP16-036-230-09
HEAT PUMP

CBX27UH-O42-230-6-04
VARIABLE SPEED AIR HANDLER.

I'm beginning to wonder if 2nd stage isn't turning on.

I live in Fort Worth Texas.
My house was built 6 years ago, 2100 sqft, with foam insulated walls, encapsulated attic with radiant barrier. On a 100 degree day, my attic is 75-80 degrees. My home is extremely well insulated.

My old unit (carrier) brand, 3 ton single stage unit leaked and compressor burned up, so I had to replace it. This unit before it crapped out on me ran extremely well. If it was 100 outside, I had no prob getting the temp down to 68. Even lower at night.

We normally set our t-stat to 71. But for testing purposes for the new system, I've been setting it lower, just to see how it will preform compared to my old system.

With this new unit, it's just not performing how I think it should. It struggles to get down to 73 during the day. At night, I'll set the t-stat to 65 (only to see how far I can push the unit). The temp will only get down to 71. At night the temp outside comes down to 80. So you would think the system shouldnt have any probs getting down to 65.

So today after work, I tested my theory. I used a clamp meter to measure the amps at the compressor. The RLA on the tag reads 15.3. The meter read 7.5. I tried forcing the unit into 2nd stage to see if the amps would rise, nothing happened. The unit sounded the same and reads 7.5 amps. I then tried forcing it into stage 1 only. I had the same results.

I've measured the difference at the supply and return and I'm ranging between 18-20. So those numbers are great.

I had the installer come out 3 times since install. He's adjusted pressures and added freon. He insists the unit it's running fine. But I know my home. I built this house, I know what it's capable of.

Any suggestions?

I'm at a loss.

Comments (5)