SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtrot

Replacing A/C system--two stage or single stage,also which brand?

mtrot
12 years ago

Hi all. I am looking at replacing my 20+ year old A/C system which consists of a 10 SEER compressor and gas furnace. The house is single story, with about 2850 square feet. The location is East Texas.

I have two quotes so far, and another contractor is coming tomorrow for another quote. It seems the most used brands around here are Trane and Lennox.

First of all, is there any brand out there that is better enough than Trane or Lennox that I should definitely seek out a dealer for a quote?

Secondly, I am an audiophile and listen to a lot of music, as well as movies, and I like my house as quiet as possible. Also, unfortunately, my furnace closet is located in the hallway right by the family room where my audio system is. When my current furnace fan is running, it sets up a veritable roar that obscures a lot of the music.

Where this may be an issue is that with the two-stage units, the furnace fan(admittedly at a quieter level) will end up running for longer periods of time than a single stage model. I can't decide if I'd rather have the fan running longer but quieter, or if I'd like it better for the fan to run on full for a shorter time and then turn off. Bear in mind that the new furnaces will be significantly quieter, even on full speed, than my current fan. Also bear in mind that during the 105 degree summers we have here, any A/C system is going to be running at full capacity from about noon till 8 to 10pm.

What experience has anybody had with the two stage units? How long does the system run continuously when in cooling mode? Does it shut off much, or mostly run?

It appears I can obtain a 14 to 15 SEER with either the single stage or the two stage system.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (4)