SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

USDA Hardiness Zone system -- isn't there something better?

fabaceae_native
15 years ago

OK, I've seen a lot of interesting discussions on this forum about plant hardiness, and the zone system, so decided to start a thread that will hopefully be interesting to people...

So here's the deal. After finally finding some good historical climate data for where I live going back to the 1800's, I am happy to say that it's a zone 6b.

The funny thing is that most zone maps (Arbor Day's newest one is an exception) and most books, local nurseries, online nurseries with zipcode zone finders, etc. all show it as zone 5. But 140 year old data does not lie, and it shows just an average of 2 days per year with temps below a zone 7 (0 degrees F). Could it be that the definition of the zone system as being based on THE AVERAGE ANNUAL MINIMUM TEMPERATURE is not followed, and instead 10-year lows, or worse, record lows, are taken to define the zones? This seems to be the case where I live, as anything below -10 (bottom of zone 6) is a record of some kind.

Anyone else find this after looking more closely on their own into past temperature data?

Assuming this is just a regional fluke, can we trust zone designations for plants then? And the bigger quesion... is average annual minimum temp the very best way to decide what will survive the winter in a given area(assuming proper care)? On these forums nearly every gardener will ask for more info beyond just a zone number, such as what part of the country? Dry or wet? Sun or shade? etc...

Sounds crazy, but I kinda wish each region had it's own version of what Sunset is for the West Coast... and then an appropriate way to compare across regions. Does anyone else know of other ways to think about cold hardiness ratings? Maybe overall average January temps, for example?

I would love to hear your beef about the zone system, and anything else related...

Comments (15)

Sponsored