SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

Gall?? GALL!! Help please....

merlcat
7 years ago

So I am assuming this is Gall.

I just saw it around the last week in July or so. No clue how quick they grow, or how long it's been there. I don't think it was there at the beginning of the month. For all the time I spend out there, I can't believe I didn't see it when it was smaller!

Bought a new old house in December.

Four rosebushes here. Three had been hard pruned. Really hard pruned, two to the ground, one to a couple canes and one to pretty much what ended up being one after some winter dieback. I think there may have been a fifth bush, also hard pruned to the ground. That one never came back so I removed the stump some time back. I found an old tag for Marco Polo in that spot just last week, actually. Could have been. There is a pink (this one), red, white, and I guess Marco Polo would have been the yellow. The one hard pruned to the ground that has not bloomed but is growing is still the mystery color. Maybe an orange, that would have rounded out the selection growing here. It is growing from what would have been the graft area, so it may still be true to whatever it is.

This rose had not had that pruning. Maybe no pruning. No idea what it is.

It is filled with old wood and borers, It has a split looking trunk, with a hollow at the base like two roses, but it is only one. Had blackspot, and dead wood, and several other issues, canker, and I am not sure what the white coloration on some of the canes really is. Clearly in need of attention. Parts of it are looking terrible, parts just okay, but it still bloomed well.

I’m posting some of the many photos I took much earlier in the season Now using them as comparison photos now that it has this growth. :-(

I had planned several times to post pictures to try and figure out what to do with it and how to do it. But too many projects with a new old house, and too little time. It seemed to be doing okay, so I left it thinking in the early spring next year, once I got some advice, I’d have a better idea what to do with it. It put out new growth, and It did bloom well. The Pre-gall pictures below are from a couple of the times I shot photos and planned to post and never did

All I could do for it was weed around it to free it up, and kept it well weeded. It was fed and watered. I lightly pruned back at first, as time went on more obvious dead wood taken out. It has many blind shoots, but I left them. I hoped to ask about what, if anything, was my best approach for rejuvenation pruning given all it’s issues. Or what to do just to keep it at it’s best, even if it retained mostly old canes.

No Experience with gall. I don’t think I have ever even seen it, but i assume that is what this is. But not crown gall, I assume? The bottom looks as it did when I first moved in. Just this one large bump, which seemed to grow out of nowhere pretty quick. I am pretty observant and do check the garden just about every day, but will admit that I tried to purposely work IN the house this past week. Guess that was a mistake. I have no idea how this got by me or if they just do develop that quickly.

Did some reading and now I have no idea what to do with this poor rose! Death sentence? Prune off the really big woody cane and see what happens? No idea. And I has grown very attached to this unknown pretty pink rose.

It is on the main trunk of the plant, just below the juncture that seems to have a large healthy cane and some very diseased ones. These pictures are from the bottom of the bush, up to the gall and up the canes attached, as well as some of the blooms it has now. It has never stopped blooming, though did lose a ton of leaves to blackspot and had bunches of rose slugs.

I am pretty sure they did spray here. There was a bunch of gardening stuff left in the greenhouse for us. Lots of tools, including a couple sprayers, though I think the actual chemicals were removed before sale.

No idea how to deal with gall. Not to mention the other obvious issues.

Advice very much needed. :-(

Pre-Gall....

Post-Gall

Comments (11)