SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan101_gw

Jam sealing failures

Siobhan101
7 years ago

I've been canning for a couple of years now, and I've never had this issue before. I've made four batches of peach jam so far. The first sealed fine, the second 4 jars didn't seal, the third all sealed, and the fourth, two jars didn't seal. I've been using the same process for all of them. I could see myself forgetting to wipe off the rim of one jar, maybe two, but I doubt I've forgotten it like half the time! I'm considering reprocessing, but I was a little confused by the instructions I saw on the NCHFP:

Can food be re-canned if the lid does not seal?
Canned food can safely be recanned if the unsealed jar is discovered within 24 hours. To re-can, remove the lid and check the jar sealing surface for tiny nicks. Change the jar; if necessary, add a new treated lid and reprocess using the same processing time.

If I don't find any nicks or whatnot on the jar lid, why would I need to change the jar? And I thought I would definitely want to add a new lid- I don't know how I would tell if it were necessary. I might buy new lids... I had just bought a new box of lids and am starting to feel as if they are cursed!! Also, do I have to somehow reheat the jam before processing it again?

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions -- and thank you for giving me a place to vent!!

Comments (5)