SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

Simple solution to "upstairs too hot"

janeway452
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

For those of us unable to use our upstairs in the hot summer months due to inadequate air conditioning, I have found a simple, cheap solution. I can't add extra insulation since there is no attic. A window or through the wall air conditioner was not an acceptable answer. A ductless unit still added a honking big wall unit and some kind of outside thing, not to mention very expensive. Never really looked into a fan booster for the existing 2 ducts. I tried fans to move around the AC that did make it, but it just didn't work, so for 24 years I resigned myself to abdicate the use of my second floor and sleep downstairs during the hot summer months.

In all my searches for a solution I never heard of placing a fan at the bottom of the steps, blowing the cold air UP. I was a my sister's a couple of weeks and she was doing this. I tried it, and it works. I have now reclaimed my upstairs for sleeping at night. A couple of hours before I intend to go to bed I turn the fan on high, turn the thermostat down (I like to sleep cool, so this is no different than what I had been doing) and put the ceiling fan on high. By the time I go to bed the temp and humidity has gone down dramatically. The fan I use has 3 speeds, a timer and a remote control, so that if I want to turn it down to medium, I don't have to go down the stairs. It's the best cheap, plastic fan!

Comments (8)