SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorys_prentice

Help me solve this difficult problem.

Dorys Prentice
7 years ago

I'm in the middle of a major remodel of our 1921 house. The kitchen is going to be laid out with a floor to ceiling cabinet that will have a microwave in it and just across from the microwave is the start of the dw, sink wall. So in essence when you pull the dish out of the microwave you would do a 180 turn to set it on the counter. Or, the microwave faces east and the DW counter faces south.

So here is where the dilemma is. There is a door going to the backyard that is in a
very inconvenient spot, right between the microwave cabinet and the counter.... so when the door when open, it would either block the floor to ceiling cabinet with the microwave or block up against the dishwasher counter, neither of which is convenient because in So. CA the door stays open 90% of the year.

Ideally I would like to build an exterior pocket door type solution. I've called around but was basically told it can't be done easily or that I'm just nuts.

Another thought I had was to just put in a sliding glass patio set and have the stationary
side embedded in the wall next to the microwave cabinet. this could
work but it seems like such a waste to have that extra glass hiding in
the wall and that wall would need to be 6" deep to accommodate the frame. I have the room there, but not really just across the isle.

Lastly, I thought I could install the exterior door so it opens to the outside, and put in a security screen on the inside. That way, the security screen can stay closed but the air comes in. I was told that would look way too tacky.... although I'm pretty sure with the right trim it would be fine. I plan to put in a security screen anyway so what does it matter if it's on the inside or outside?

This is going to take someone to think outside the box or lead me to a company that has single door sliding patio set up already in a package that I can just install. I can't seem to find anything online.

Comments (12)