SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cvw_ky

Designing HVAC for super insulated home

cvw_ky
7 years ago

Hi all,

I am building a super insulated house in central KY. There aren't too many (actually...none at all) super insulated houses in our area, so I am trying to do as much of the HVAC research as I can so that I can help the HVAC subs in our area understand the old "rules of thumb" won't work on this house.

I have done the room to room manual J calculations, and I have come up with a total of 15k/9.6k BTUs heating/cooling for the 1st floor and 9.5k/6.8k BTUs heat/cool for the 2nd. This is well below what most conventional heat pumps can efficiently produce, so I am considering a mini split system. However, my floor plan is not ideal for a mini split system, so I have come here to ask if my ideas below will work.

See the attached floor plans below. For the first floor, I have included 2 mini split ductless heads (marked with the red boxes). The concern I have with this idea is 1.) Whether you can mount a mini split head over a window right on top of a header, 2.) Whether the ductless heads will be able to extend into the ends of the floor plan, especially the guest bedroom and bath (right side), and 3.) The fact that 2 mini split heads will be overkill for the heat/cool load. The smallest mini splits out there are going to produce 7k/6k BTUs, which means that one head would almost handle the entire floor, meaning that 2 heads would almost be double the amount of supply I need. I have a full basement under the first floor, so I could use a ducted mini split and run ductwork. This would allow a more properly sized unit to be used. The question, then, is whether ducts would be too long to be effective with the small static pressures of most ducted mini splits.

The 2nd floor I assume is too cut up to allow for ductless units. I guess I could put a ductless unit in the central hall to serve the front bedrooms and another ductless unit in the master closet to serve the back rooms, but I'd have the same oversizing issue that I have on the first floor, but even more so. So I am thinking about using a slim ducted unit (marked with the red box), mounted vertically in the master closet wall that allows me to run the supply ducts (marked with the blue boxes) overhead to the rooms and then has a return vent at the base of the wall in the hall.

Does anyone have any comments or critiques about these ideas?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022