SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

New construction design input requested; all elec HVAC

lite1
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

New construction modern home with lots of glass and west-facing windows; 2300SF main floor; 900SF upstairs. Predominantly 9' ceilings (some 10.5'). Open floor plan from entry; living room; K; DR. Flat roof; well insulated ubt with so much glass really isn't that insulated. Will have honeycomb shades on Living Room windows to mitigate some of the summer late afternoon to sunset heat gain. Not sure I can get heat calcs.

Appreciate all of your thoughts on equipment, design considerations, and ?s I should be asking.

High desert climate in Oregon heating degree days 6926 cooling 151 both base 65. Very large 35 degree dinaural temp change during summer so will have opportunity to really cool things down overnight. Very little humidity.

All electric, no other option. Lennox contractor has very good reputation and bid was 35% less than Trane (who I somewhat favored due to forum comments) as later proposed two heat pumps.

Other info:
95% of the time only two people in house; both work at home mostly upstairs.
At home a great deal of the time rather than a family with alot of in and out activity.
Originally air handler was to be in garage, but contractor has suggested the 6' tall crawl space under DR as preferred to avoid impact of poor garage air quality being drawn into house.
I have and will use high quality air filtation units in addition to what is part of the AH.
Cost estimate for entire proj is already far over budget/expectation, however HVAC is not something to short change.

Some of my key ?s are:
1) Is splitting downstairs into 2 zones worth the $650 upgrade?
2) Is there an alternative to HRV that I should explore?

Common to all proposals:
Line set and condensate drain for heat pump.
Venting: 4- Bath fans, dryer, utility and up to 8" range.
5" MERV16 filter and cabinet.
Ducting: Flexible, R8 insulation.
Zoning: 2 zones (main living and upstairs) Honeywell VP8000
thermostats.
PTCS Duct Test & Seal per CEC requirements
PTCS Heat Pump commissioning as per CEC
electric co-op offers rebate and tests system before issuing rebate - this is nice for me to have 3rd party checking some aspects of install/functioning.

Equipment options:
1) $25,230 Lennox CBX40UHV air handler, variable speed, with aux heat.
Lennox XP25-048 heat pump, variable speed compressor, 10.2
HSPF, 20.5 SEER.

2) $23,090 same air handler Lennox XP20-048 heat pump, variable speed compressor, 9.6
HSPF, 19 SEER.

3) $21,885 same air handler Lennox XP16-048 heat pump, 2 stage compressor, 9.5 HSPF,
16 SEER

$2,000 upgrade will be done to use hard ducting in crawlspace

$2,755 Add a Lennox HRV5-200 heat recovery ventilator, stale air
and fresh air tied into furnace system, 5 speed, controlled
from thermostat. This is the only "fresh air" option offered

$700 Upgrade zoning system to Lennox iHarmony, communicating,
iComfort S30 WIFI main thermostat. I'd be inclined to use the less expensive Lennox wifi stat.

$650 Add a 3rd zone splitting the main floor into 2 zones. I'm open to this, but would be happy to save the money as well; but this is very little $ compared to the $3,856 Trane wanted to split downstairs in to two zones.

$750 Add a Lennox bypass humidifier, controlled from thermostat I'm inclined to say no to this.

Comments (4)