SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lookingonthebrightside

Being Brave and Asking for Help Updating Queen Anne DR

texanjana
7 years ago

Literally nothing has been done to this room in years. It is very rarely used-only on holidays. A little more background:

1. Now that our children are grown, we will be downsizing in a few years. Thinking new place will not have formal spaces like current house does, so all this furniture will most likely go then.

2. The furniture in our DR was purchased in 1986 shortly after we married, is solid wood, must stay and I'm not painting it.

3. I've never particularly liked the light fixture (PO) or rug, and rug is too small. Ideas?

4. Sick of Raspberry Truffle paint, leaning toward a neutral cream.

5. Valance will go, have wooden blinds now and do need privacy at night since room is on front of house. Blinds can go. Thinking I would like just drapes in there that I can open and close.

6. Dining chairs can be easily recovered by me.

7. All wall art can go or be changed. The only things dear to me in this room are the items in the china cabinet, many of which belonged to my great grandmothers.

8. Of course, I have more time than money right now since I resigned from my job recently. So, trying to do this on a budget. I'm good at painting and actually enjoy it, so can handle that myself.

9. Formal living room pictured is right across from DR, and I will work on it after DR since they need to 'flow'. Paint color will be the same as what I choose for DR. Niece is taking vase collection in corner, so that will de clutter room some. Piano was purchased for me by my parents in about 1970, hoping another niece will want it for her daughter. I still play, but not that often. Again, this room is rarely used.

10. Any and all ideas welcomed, bracing myself for negative comments, but I'm a big girl and can take it!

Can't be any worse than 23 yo DD-"Ugh, this house is SO dated." LOL, wanted to say, "Hmmm, and who put you through four years of an out of state private college? Could have a totally updated house for what that cost!" But I just smiled. Someday she will get it.

Cell phone pics aren't great. Looking down foyer at front door, dining is on right, formal living on left. Doorway from dining leads to kitchen. Thank you!

Comments (52)

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think telling your DD about educating instead of decorating would have been an excellent learning moment for her, as long as not being snarky about it.

I Like your DR wall color, Chandy, dining furniture. Seems though that table should be oriented in the other direction. I'm not a fan of carpet b/c of fallen food/cleaning but as empty nesters I guess not a big concern for you.

If it were my dr, I'd reupholster seats but only to give myself a feeling that I'm freshening room. And to lighten room a bit, I would paint or wallpaper or put a mirror the back of your china cabinet. I'm a big fan of freshening cabinets this way, maybe something in a gold family?

you have an impressively clear mind on what you want and don't want, so this should be easy.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Another word on rugs, if musty, people associate smell with age. If carpet is musty, room might feel old. Remove

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Houseplants/Tropicals/Annuals - 1 more day to sign up!!

Q

Comments (64)
    Goodmorning Everybody ! :) I heard from my swappers last night...:))) Mariann I have a couple of surprizes for you...We love putting surprizes in our boxes Regina started it.. Chell you are so creative and your writing is so much fun to read... I bet the boys loved playing pirate.. I can see their smiling faces now...What a great idea to make a hideout.. They will always remeber their hideout mom made for them... Norma I havent traded with you but I am sure you went way above in sending her nice cuttings..I seen pics of what you send...They are awesome boxes..:)) Please dont be sad..:)) Regina howdy :) I am so sorry about Mark having to have surgery and the heart condition would just send me into heaven.. Wow I am so glad to read it all went well...Shooo My heart sank for a minute...He will be all healed for college this fall..:)) You empty nester dont go through what I went through...Stay busy and call them alot... I miss my kids so much it hurts sometimes... Dogs are okay but they cant replace our true babies...I love reading about chell and her boys... It makes me smile so much... Frances lol You poor gardener..ahhah You need a break from mother nature..Really..:)) Oh big snakes yucky... I would be screaming... I love chippies...They are so cute...Havent had many around with a cat now...Kiki has brought home two gardener snakes...He was very proud of himself... Yesterday I was getting ready to go out and play in the dirt...The crows or blackbirds were screaming...It just like a scene in the movie the "birds"... It creeped me out really bad...I couldnt see what they were yelling at.. I watched tv...Than got bored and went coleus shopping..lol The master gardener sale for the next county over is tommorow... I cant wait to see what they are going to be offering..I have never been to this one...Oh I almost forgot..I heard from the master gardener I met...Looks like we are building another gh..lol She wants to do it closer to fall since everyone is busy with their gardens...I am glad we could help her..They are a pain to build.. well I gabbed enough lol must be the strong coffee and I got a lot of sleep...:)) Have a good day everybody..Barb
    ...See More

color choices for LR/DR/K in new house - DULL?

Q

Comments (32)
    Thanks, blf. That is exactly what I love about this site. Honest criticism! It doesn't tie in with anything. The closest tie-ins might be the leather recliner and the fact that we used to live in Texas! Houzz shows tons of cowhide rugs these days, but maybe the rooms are more contemporary than mine. Maybe the cowhide rug in my room is just trying to hard to be different! Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz cowhide rugs[(https://www.houzz.com/products/cowhide-rugs-prbr1-br~t_515~a_623-12946)
    ...See More

Decorating around Queen Anne red velvet chairs

Q

Comments (80)
    We have a Home Decorators Collection nearby so I was able to go by and take a look at that sofa and chair I posted. Obviously this isn't furniture built to last for 30+ years. But I am not paying the money where I would expect it to be. If this was a room that was our primary hang out space I would be willing to invest (as we are planning on doing for the family room in looking at a Hancock and Moore leather sofa.....if I can afford it), but expect this furniture to be "lightly used". I think with the addition of a couple of pillows it will be reasonably comfortable for guests and conversation (obviously not to snuggle in for a movie). I actually like the printed fabric, it appeared more of a pale blue overall appearance than the gray that I had expected. Hopefully will look OK with the hide rug (which - if not, I have already decided would look nice in the master bedroom). But fingers crossed this will all come together. I think I will likely need a different color on the walls than the Wedgewood Gray, but that can be selected later. OK - I have been looking forever for that red peacock type pillow and cant find it! I really do think that the accessories will hopefully be what ties this all together.
    ...See More

DR chairs, need help!

Q

Comments (17)
    Ree, I am thinking that might be my safest bet, Parson's chairs as they do cross the style barrier. KD, I am sort of like you --- I like mixing styles as long as they "play" well together and I will not get rid of the table and storage pieces because my kids who can afford good furniture, tell me they cannot get the quality I have with double the price, that it just does not exist anymore. I think my table and chairs are Penn Colony or something like that, about the same as Ethan Allen used to be, or maybe a cut above. Carol, I don't do a very good job of photography because I have very little vision when I try hard to focus. I have MS and as a result, I cannot squint or work really hard at seeing things. I have no optic nerve on the right and very little on the left. It's just one of those things that plagues people with MS and fortunately, I am now walking and do have enough vision so that if I change my font on the computer, I can see to read and write, but cannot read a phone book even with glasses. Leahcate, the finish on my table is still very, very good. No problems with that at all. I am trying to remember but think I paid about $5000 for this furniture in the early 1970s and about $4000 for the cherry. That was a pocketful of cash back then, not much now by today's standards but I will not be able to replace the quality with anything near that now. The finish it what would be called "coffee bean" today, or ebonized. It is not black but a dark, probably what the French would call dark pine.
    ...See More
  • robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

I was going to say, I like the living room rug a lot! Would you consider moving it into the dining room? I think it could be a great basis for a color scheme. And maybe you could do a bit lighter rug in the living room?

My thoughts would be either remove chair rail or paint from chair rail to baseboards inclusive the same color (off white/ivory, etc).

Mirror is hung too high and I might be tempted to get rid of it.

New window treatments - just plain curtains on a double rod with sheers behind would be fairly budget-friendly and still look pretty luxurious.

Wall art - what if you took the four botanicals and hung them in a square where the mirror is, and then beefed up the plate collection a little. A little informality in plate collection might make the room feel fresher and it's easy to pick up interesting looking plates in the blue and white color scheme.

Or - some bigger, more contemporary pieces might help modernize the room a bit.

Chandelier. One way to freshen it up might be to remove the dangling crystals just to make it more plain, it's already white which is pretty fresh.

texanjana thanked robo (z6a)
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Paint first, change window treatments to simple linen (or other solid casual fabric) floor-length draperies, recover chair seats in a plain light solid, leave everything off the walls, then re-assess how you are feeling about the room. You may find that you don't need to do anything else or you may want to change out the rug to a lighter, more contemporary version. Re-hang or replace the art at the end of the process once you have a look you like.

I like traditional furniture and I think it can look updated when paired with an updated environment.

texanjana thanked Fun2BHere
  • Kippy
    7 years ago

Before you remove the wainscoting, I would try just priming (in white) the lower sections and see how different the room feels with it lighter and then take new photos. You will have to sand and prime anyway.

i would pick a color you either love else where in your home or a fabric you love and then ask for ideas using it as your starting point

I love that dining room fixture! But it is a bit too high. Hopefully there is some slack that can allow it to drop a bit.

texanjana thanked Kippy
  • roarah
    7 years ago

I am a sucker for formal red dinning rooms so I think it is lovely as is but can appreciate wanting a change. I like the idea of white wainscot bellow the dark upper red. I also think changing the curtains to a long panel type will add a more modern vibe. Also a simpler fabric for chair seats would lighten the feel too. Very beautiful home!

texanjana thanked roarah
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Here is what I was thinking about china cabinet adjusted to your color preferences. Ignore cabinet contents if not your taste. Not mine.

texanjana thanked bossyvossy
  • lindac92
    7 years ago

I love the room! But agree it needs to be lightened. First get rid of the valance, jabot, drapey things at the windows....just take them down. Why would you cut a line of drapey stuff across your beautiful arched window?
    Lower that chandeliere....looks like a "light fixture" instead of a chandeliere over a dining table. Put a big glass compote of bowl full of lemons ( or fake lemons) in the center of that table, and some silver candlesticks to reflect light.
    Paint the top part of the walls a much lighter version of the same color, and remove the very symetrical plates and pictures from the walls. See what you thank, and then start adding back, or changing upholstery etc. That is a very cheap beginning and will give you some idea of direction without making huge changes.

texanjana thanked lindac92
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Interesting. I too have inherited a Queen Anne style dining table and chairs, very similar to yours. Also a large rococo-ish china cabinet. Both dark mahogany brown. For years mom had them and I thought, "Well fine, but NOT my taste and dated." I figured once I inherited them, I would sell them and get something plainer in a style that I liked. Now that I have inherited them, I find that I want to work with them, because they are beautiful wood which you just don't find anymore at a price I could afford, and also they are solid and work well when I entertain so why should I spend money I don't have just to get something "different." But I also want to update my dining room. I've done a little perusing of Web pictures to get some ideas, and the main thing I am interested in is how to make the room look more open and airy WITH the dark furniture. I searched a few sites with photos of dark brown furniture in light looking rooms. I too am waiting with interest to see what others suggest. Here are my main takeaways so far.

1. Yes, wall color which is neutral and warm, something like a golden tan, etc. Finding the right shade is critical, as it will react differently to the light in your room. With light flooring and walls, the dark wood can shine and show its beauty instead of just being another oppressive feature.

2. Blingy chandelier does light up a room, but you might be able to find something with slightly less bling. I want a bling chandelier but SO does not like them and realistically I know I do not want to futz with trying to keep them dusted so I am searching for something with sparkle but not too much. Something classic and traditional. I'm tentatively thinking a black iron thing with just some crystals hanging from some of it. Something with a plain structure and just a little jewels hung on it, like maybe a candle sconce style with crystals around the flames, etc.

3. For me, a huge thing has been to un-clutter the one large window in the room. I'm still toying around with ideas of how to cover it but still keep it looking light. I keep the vertical blinds completely open now in the summer, to open up the space and let in light, but in the winter, that large french door window at the end of the room is just going to be a black hole. I'm toying with all kinds of ideas--bamboo blinds, painted shoji type blinds, drapes with sheers, and maybe even stained glass applique. Again, a minimalist plainer window treatment will allow your dining room wood furniture to shine and a positive feature, rather than look overly fussy.

4. Wall art. Since my dining room is small, a lot of futzy little wall art just makes it look cluttered. Something large and colorful that really draws in the eye is a great way to go. Better to have a few large big pieces that give the impression of a view, than a lot of little things that folks aren't going to get close enough to see anyway. A beautiful colored wall and minimal, bold art work. That big art piece is where you can really make the room look "modern" since any kind of art will be OK, even something abstract. Again, not something overly detailed, as that is the opposite of the uncluttered look that is so popular now.

5. You might want to consider fake grasscloth wallpaper, which can give a natural feel and some texture to the largely plain walls. Would make a great contrast to the dark wood, complimenting it. It makes the room both plain and serene yet interesting.

These are just a few ideas, as I said, I too am very interested to hear others ideas and examples. Right now The main thing I have done is remove the futzy wall art and replace it with some large watercolor landscapes that I had, and open up the windows. My dining room is builders white, and will be hard to repaint due to some wall issues, so my next focus will be on changing out the vertical blinds come winter. Still mulling that one.

As for your carpet, it appears to be fairly neutral so if money is tight I would make that my last priority, considering how expensive large area rugs are. But if you have the money for a new one, finding something textured yet neutral might be nice. Also recovering chairs, easy peasy to find a nice textured neutral and would also make a huge difference.

Here's a photo of one of my landscapes, this color scheme goes well with dark wood. I also had some inspiration pics of rooms with dark dining room furniture but that looked modern, but I don't know what I did with them. I should have created an "idea" folder but I didn't.

texanjana thanked l pinkmountain
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Sorry sorry but I have read all the comments. I would choose a light color to paint the walls and chair rail one color. I only like chair rail when it divides the walls by using two different colors. Although that ship has probably already sailed too.

i would remove the drapes. Although they are lovely, I think,they are dated.

texanjana thanked eld6161
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Not sure if this will float your boat, but I thought this update from cote de texas was interesting. There was a lot that I didn't like, but I thought the change to the lighter walls with the darker molding made for a fresher more updated look while still keeping it traditional.

Before

After

texanjana thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 2pups4me
    7 years ago

If your window has northern exposure be careful about going too light with your paint color. Mine is north facing and even the suggested colors for a north-facing room look drab at times.

texanjana thanked 2pups4me
  • texanjana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow! So many great ideas and things to think about. To clarify, floor in room is wood with rug on top. Here's a closer shot of rug. The blue in it is closer to a dark turquoise.

It just seems too small, especially when we have a leaf in table. Living room rug is 9x12, which I think might be too big but can try it. House is fairly large, but this DR is small especially with that china cabinet. Table won't work the other way.

i think I'm going to start by removing the valance, taking the crystals off of the chandelier, removing stuff from walls, and seeing if chandy can be lowered. Mirror is def going-used to have a small chest under it on that wall but moved it upstairs, so mirror just looks weird now. Keep the ideas coming.

• sunfeather
    7 years ago

Pretty, traditional room. I like many of the comments above - lighter paint, lighter window treatment and fabric on chairs, turning the table and perhaps moving the rug from LR. How would that nice mirror in the LR look in the DR?

BTW, I love the quilt in your foyer.

• sunfeather
    7 years ago

Well, darn on the table turning :-). Nice rug - maybe it could go in LR if the sizes work.

• Gooster
    7 years ago

It's a lovely traditional room, with many items that have persisted through the ages. I think it comes down to, what is the end style you want? Do you want just a refresh on your traditional style? I had a similar issue with my traditional DR set (and I'm still not fully done/happy). I think you can accomplish a lot, as people pointed out, with new drapes in the DR (or none at all), recovering the chairs and painting the room. I would not be afraid of a new, updated pattern in the textiles. I think you'll find some of the other elements (the crystals, the chair rail) might begin to recede once those changes are made.

From what I can see, the contents of the china cabinet are beautiful, btw.

texanjana thanked Gooster
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Most updating will focus on making it lighter, and more casual. I think in essence that is the difference between popular DR's today and prior periods.

In that vein, you could put off white washable skirts on the DR chairs. You see a lot more of the fabric that way then if it is just on the seat. Some examples (just to illustrate the concept).

Do you have something you love somewhere in the house that you would like to use here? What is your fave DR?

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Can you take some of the crystals off the chandelier? And then I'd take some of the lampshades off the other chandelier and put them on the DR one just to see what it would look like with that change. You may be able to redo the DR light without buying a new one.

It looks like you have a mirror on the wall to the right - it looks a little small for the wall, but then I can't see the whole thing.

I like the artwork (not the plates so much but I'm not a plate person) but the way it is displayed is just too symmetrical, too perfect, too formal.

If you have more plates (I'm not saying to do this but just as an example of not perfectly hung displays), you could do one side of the cabinet with the plates and the other side a round interesting mirror to mimic the shape of the plates.. What you're looking for in a case such as that is even visual weight on both sides. It doesn't have to be the exact same to be interesting and visually balanced.

Then I would hang the other artwork in a 2x2 grouping somewhere. I think the space on the sides of the cabinet are too small.

Anyway, thoughts that may work or at least expand your ideas.

texanjana thanked blfenton
  • sunfeather
    7 years ago

Would the china cabinet fit on the other wall and allow the table to be turned? Sorry, last question about table turning :-)

• nini804
    7 years ago

I think your room & furniture have great "bones!" Honestly, I think removing the valance and drapes, finding a nice, light paint color, futzing around with the chandy to make it lower (or biting the bullet and buying a sleeker, more modern one-plenty of pretty ones for cheap on overstock), and changing the rug to a sisal would be all it takes. Check out some of Phoebe Howard's dining rooms....she does a fabulous job of making traditional rooms look current and fresh. Post your progress!

texanjana thanked nini804
  • texanjana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love blue, and our china has blue in it. I really like the Federal Farmstead DR that Robo posted earlier. I have always loved blue and yellow together.

I also like this one. Love the juxtaposition of a traditional rug with a more modern fabric. If our Persian rug will work in there, I am thinking I could use a bold fabric on chairs or drapes. I like this light fixture, too. I know a fabric on my chairs won't show up as much as these fully upholstered ones, though.

Mtn, I do love those chair skirts that you posted.

I took the fabric off of the cornice board, and will get DH to help me remove it totally when he gets home. It already looks lighter in there. I also removed the bling from the chandelier, rolled up rug and removed everything from the walls. I am not sure if I like the chandelier without the bling. It also needs a good cleaning, which I will do. I can always put the crystals back on if I decide to keep it, or even add some shades.

I don't think I am up to removing the chair rail, but I like the idea of either one shade darker color on the bottom or just painting it the same color as the walls.

I had done several foam boards with paint samples before my vacation, now I don't know where I put them. Anyway, I seem to remember that I was leaning toward SW Crème. They will either turn up or I can do more since I still have the sample paints.

rgrs-Yes, I think I could turn the table if I moved the china cabinet to the other wall. Something to think about.

Thanks for the compliments, too. I appreciate them, My great grandmother made the quilt that is hanging in the foyer out of scrap fabric from clothes she had made for her kids-all 11 of them!

• sunfeather
    7 years ago

Moving the china cab would be a chore but worth it if it worked out. Your quilt is a real treasure!

texanjana thanked sunfeather
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Do they make patterns for those fabric chair covers and could you sew some? Seems like the ones you buy have limited options for pattern, but maybe there are shops on Etsy that sell them. Seems like they would be expensive so if you could sew your own that would be one way to maximize your impact with time and skill instead of money. LOVE that blue and cream room you just posted, love the chandelier! But do they even make those little flame bulbs anymore? I'm having a devil of a time finding ones for my DR.

A nice light tablecloth or runner is another way to bring new colors and pattern into a dining room. There are some lovely options, and can be made too. That quilt is AWESOME BTW. Great space to display it too! It's a wonderful piece to have.

texanjana thanked l pinkmountain
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Federal farmstead is gorgeous. Dare I say timeless. I do think the wall color there is paler than SW Creme. That might be too yellow and take you toward Tuscan. I think that room depends a lot on the almost all white rug. Note that the WT do not cover any of the glass, and are hung high.

I also really like the second room you posted. Maybe even more if you want to run away from any dated notions. That wall is off white, which I like. Drapery looks to be off the shelf, which is a savings.

texanjana thanked MtnRdRedux
  • arcy_gw
    7 years ago

Your dinning room set is to die for. I am very happy people are saying dark paint in small rooms is OUT. Never a fad I could embrace. It accentuates the chair rail and not in a good way. Perhaps after the walls are lightened up it will blend better so wait and see on the rail. It goes with the style of the rest of the mill work. While wains cotting would show off your furniture nicely, your room is too small to hold it all. Remove the dust catching mini-blinds, too informal for your space. I prefer a valance to none and layered more formal drapes are coming back "in", so again wait and see until after painting, perhaps a sleeker style? The white of the chandy is what trips me up. The mathcy matchy to the mill work doesn't work for me. Makes it look cheap.

texanjana thanked arcy_gw
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

OK, fill me in. What is federal farmstead?

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

The yellow and blue toile photo I posted up thread.

• Bonnie
    7 years ago

Federal Farmstead is a link in Robo's post above.

Texanjana, we have raspberry truffle below the chairrail and BM Bronzed Beige above it. Like your room we have a Queen Anne DR set and a dark Bidjar rug, both of which are staying. We use our room and like most elements. Years ago I took down the custom jabots and draperies and have simple light solid panels at both windows.

I'd start with paint, new window treatments and a new chandy and see how you like it.

texanjana thanked Bonnie
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

For most of us, some or all of our decor is "dated", right? But we keep it anyway for any number of reasons including that we might like it! OTOH, if your motivation for the room is to make it feel new and fresh, I would generally say to avoid things that would not be done de novo today. That was why I advised to remove the chair railing. It's also why I'm not a fan of going two-tone. But ...

Then I was looking at this post from Decorologist. I think what she does with the two tone and chair rail looks super (but maybe you could add a trim piece and beef up the chair rail?). And it should be easy! As for painting the ceiling, that's a very cool idea to but not sure if it its DIY!

see this article on two tone from the Decorologist

texanjana thanked MtnRdRedux
  • junco East Georgia zone 8a
    7 years ago

I think a shade of blue/turquoise would really lighten up your room and highlight your furniture. I have BM Mount St. Anne with my dark furniture and I Iove it. I saw this color in your DR rug and think it would work even if you don't keep the rug in there.

texanjana thanked junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

If you want to keep the chair rail then, as suggested, I would make it a feature by adding another layer to it and beefing it up.

texanjana thanked blfenton
  • patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

Your traditional home could become very sophisticated with the right shade of tan or an ivory the same shade as the edging on the rug~paint the ceiling the same color. Your present colors *do* date the spaces, it's not the traditional furnishings. Removing the chair rail would cut down on the traditional style and that's probably the first thing I would do. What is unique about your home is the *lack* of it being trendy~I don't see one iota of gray! Personally, I love that ;)

texanjana thanked patty_cakes42
  • texanjana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I made a little progress-took valance completely down, removed rug, removed fabric on chairs back to original cream fabric; still a little dated but at least neutral, patched holes, removed chandy crystals.

Next, remove blind, unload china cabinet and move it, clean walls and start priming. DH only rolled his eyes a little when I told him he would need to help me. Ha ha.

I measured, and the Persian rug will actually fit in there. It's a little smaller than I thought. Will need help to haul that thing in there, though!

Found my paint samples and I like both the SW Creme and Honied White. Trim will be BM Simply White, to match other trim in house. I will get more paint samples later after I get the walls primed and the rug in there. Hard to tell anything with all that red. I really want to do a cream or off white wall. We had a blue dining room once, and that was the hardest paint color to get right.

Original Chair Fabric

LR Persian Rug

"Nekkid" Chandy

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

!! Wow, you've been busy! I like your original chair fabric. It already totally lightened up the room.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

how exciting! You move fast! Would you consider bamboo blinds with drapes?

Love the persian rug

• User
    7 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing the continued process. I like the LR rug and would pull a lighter paint color from that. Agree about lightening the chair fabric (the original fabrics lightens things already) and solid curtains. I'd take all art down for now and make the other changes first. I like the chandy without the bling. The moulding doesn't bother me. I think it would look nice beefier. I also think it would look just fine the whole wall painted a solid color. I wouldn't bother to remove it, but if you're going to paint anyhow.... it's up to you but I don't think it's necessary. I like blue plates and would think blue in general would be nice in the room with the rug. Some of this will depend on how casual you wish to do. Also looking forward to seeing how the room looks with the china cabinet and table moved. Ha, I get a hairy eye ball at times when DH gets to participate with moving heavy things all over the house.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

WOW. I love it when a vision coalesces and the plan starts to come together.

• sunfeather
    7 years ago

What nice Windows! Really opens up the room. You do have those furniture sliders, right. My DH would have run away by now if we hadn't discovered them.

• texanjana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You are correct, Patty, not a speck of gray in this house. Ha!

I do like bamboo blinds, Mtn. In my experience with the windows in this house, has to be custom since they are so wide but that might have changed now. I just watched that DIY Roman shade video that someone posted on here recently. I think I might even attempt that if I am getting rid of the wood blind anyway. Pair it with off white drapes.

rgrs-Oh, yes we have the furniture sliders. It's just getting the cabinet up onto the sliders that may be a challenge. One of our adult sons lives fairly close, so I might ask him to help us this weekend. I unloaded the whole cabinet today, so you can imagine what my kitchen counters look like now.

• cliff_and_joann
    7 years ago

You're going to love the light walls with the dark furniture, it's timeless.

Our DD has an 18 century DR. I don't have a pic of the China Cabinet

on my iPad but I do have a pic of the table, chairs and server. The window treatments are shades, but she never lowers them.

You could always use cream/ white shades under a shade type valance

that would give you privacy at night and disappear under the shade valance

at night.

Here is two pics I have on my iPad..

texanjana thanked cliff_and_joann
  • cliff_and_joann
    7 years ago

oops, here is the one I was looking for instead of the last pic...

• sunfeather
    7 years ago

I hope your china cab is in two pieces. Please be careful... I worry :-)

• texanjana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

cliff_and_joann-Your DD's DR is beautiful. I like the lighter rug in hers. Thanks for sharing. I think we have the same crystal pattern.

• nini804
    7 years ago

I can't wait to see more progress! Are you painting today? ;)

• amykath
    7 years ago

I love the light buttery color of CliffandJoann's DD's dining room. It luscious!

I also love the idea that Mrn mentioned regarding curtains and a bamboo shades.

I know this is a bedroom but I love the texture of the shade and the softness of the curtains.

• cliff_and_joann
    7 years ago

Thanks Texanjana

I thought you'd appreciate how lovely your DR is going to look

with lighter walls and dark cherry furniture.

The rug...she has a puppy and went out and closed the

doors in the DR, but forgot to lock the swinging door to the kitchen.

To her horror, her puppy chewed a little piece of the Persian rug

in the corner.

She called her rug man, (the gentleman that sold her the rugs)

he picked up the rug and took it into NYC to be weaved.

They wanted 1250.00 to repair it, but he got it down to

1000.00. It was a perfect repair, you can't tell which corner was

repaired.

The culprit ...Atticus

• texanjana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, Atticus, but how could you stay mad at that face? Such a cutie. One of our grand dogs chewed a bit of fringe off of a small rug I bought in Turkey. Grrr.

Today was spent cleaning, prepping and I put one coat of primer on the walls. Our son did help move the china cabinet, so all went fine there. I'm tired.

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

Texanjana did you post finished pics of your dining room?

• texanjana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did! Here's the link to that thread. Thx for asking. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4295687/final-revisit-of-dining-room?n=36