SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

color choices for LR/DR/K in new house - DULL?

bbstx
10 years ago

Attached olioboard shows many of the choices I've made for the new house. My goal is calm, soothing, serene. I think I may have jumped over those three and landed square in DULL.

The foyer, living room, dining room, and kitchen are all open to each other. The wood floor runs through the entire downstairs. No rug has been chosen yet. I'm leaning to an oushak that I will post in the next message.

The recliner hasn't been ordered yet, so the leather can change. I thought a light caramel would work best in the room and also have some staying power for future re-decorations.

The gray velvet chesterfield sofa is on order. The velvet has the slightest undertone of green.

An existing wing chair is going to be recovered. I really like the aqua and beige/brown/taupe hunt toile. I shilly shallyed about it, but its siren song is hard to resist.

The dining table is round. I do not know the wood. It may be mahogany. It isn't walnut or cherry. The dining chairs have upholstered backs and seats with Queen Anne legs. I'm having them recovered in the small bluish-gray cut velvet greek key fabric. It has a pale golden backgound. A tiny bit shows through between the cuts.

I would be grateful for suggestions for accessories. I have art in storage. Some of it has been stored so long, I can't remember what I have. But I tend to go to contemporary art with strong colors.

The celadon lamp is not a given. I can use it somewhere else.

I have no rug for the foyer, yet. I'm considering seagrass for the adjacent dining room.

The breakfast room chairs are dark barley twist oak, as is the pub table that goes with them. The seats will be covered in something similar to a grain sack, but a tad more refined. The back ground is off-white on the grayish side; the writing is medium gray and the stripe down the center is light gold.

In the kitchen, the countertop is Ornamental White. The background is grayish-white with swirls of light green and light lavender. There is black graining in it and a few garnet dots. The backsplash will be white subway tile with gray grout.

In lieu of curtains, the windows will be covered in off-white plantation shutters.

I have a relatively short wall in the dining room that has a return air vent at the bottom. I'm considering painting an old sofa table in cinnabar and putting it on that wall. Opinion?

Criticize with abandon! (Your English lesson for today: "critique" is a noun. The verb is "criticize." I cannot bring myself to use "critique" as a verb, although I think some think it sounds less harsh. Now, aren't you glad you know that?)

Comments (32)