SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
read_more_books

Grout problems with new tile floor (X-post with remodeling forum)

Joan Habel
7 years ago

I hope you all can either help me or direct me to the correct forum. We completely remodeled our kitchen and little over a year ago, and are happy with the workmanship on everything except the tiling.

A few months after it was finished, I noticed that three of the porcelain floor tiles were cracked from one side to another, and that one of the backsplash tiles had the same problem.

I called the contractor, and he sent the tile guys over to replace the cracked tiles. Side note - the main tile guy was a jerk about it and initially told me that short of taking a sledge hammer to the tiles that it was impossible for them to crack.

They replaced the tiles. And, although the new grout (it was mixed using the original bag which is stored in my basement) doesn't quite match, I was satisfied. Except that soon after, the grout from the original flooring tile job is cracked a coming up.

I was just going to try and fix it myself with the bag of grout that I have. But as I look more closely, there are cracks in the grout at each 3-way joints of the tiles as well as through out the straight seams.

Is this normal?

I hate to deal with the jerky tile guy again if it is normal wear and tear.

grout · More Info

grout · More Info

grout · More Info

Comments (10)