SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Should I download Windows 10 on my computer?

Kathsgrdn
7 years ago

I keep getting messages and have for a while for free download. I now have a timer, can only get it free till the 29th. Did you download it and did you like it?

Comments (42)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I did about a week ago and I don't have any problems. I think they have all the bugs out. I started one morning when I didn't really need the computer for anything and let it do its thing. I was using google before and my icons for it were still there and when I launch it everything is still the same.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I am very happy with it.

• Related Discussions

i think my computer is about to crash, what should i do?

Q

Comments (9)
    In your initial post you say you have left the computer switched on but it is frozen. Is that the state right now? If so you need to remove the left side panel and look at the fan on the motherboard to see if it is spinning. Perhaps this is as simple as the processor cooling fan quitting. The computer would quit to protect your CPU or processor from overheating. As you have a new computer on order perhaps we can assume this machine is a bit older. After checking the fan mentioned above switch off the computer, remove the power cord from the rear of the case and check the cooling fins underneath that fan. Are they full of dust and dirt? If so a can of compressed air will work wonders, be sure to place a finger on the fan to prevent it spinning wildly as you use the compressed air to remove all that crud. (Do this outside if it is particularly dirty, saves a lot of dusting afterwards) Your data is probably safe because the hard drive is probably still good to go. What ever happens you could use this as a wake up call and back up your data. Also if you have not already done it you should create a set of recovery disks - unless Dell provided them at purchase time of course.
    ...See More

Program that will download music videos to my computer

Q

Comments (3)
    I use: http://www.listentoyoutube.com/ It extracts the MP3 from the video and downloads that to your computer. It doesn't download the video. I've been using it for quite some time and have found no fault with it,
    ...See More

Find all jpg images and photos that are saved on windows 10 computer

Q

Comments (5)
    Use a photo organizer - it will rummage through and find all the images, videos and such. then you can often have it move the images to a backup and to a different directory. https://www.itechtics.com/free-photo-organizers-windows-10/
    ...See More

windows 10 feature update my computer started acting up

Q

Comments (11)
    In Edge, clicking on three dots at upper right of screen or Alt-X sequence brings up the menu. Click on Settings, General, then scroll down, you come upon options for downloads. Where to save, and whether to have a pop-up ask what to do with a triggered download. I've long found it useful and easiest to create a first tier folder called C:\Download folder. That way, I can quickly get to anything that's been downloaded without having to click, click, click through unneeded layers with obscure names in the folder tree to get to what I want. Additionally, with Alt-X or the three dot entry method, another selection is Downloads. Click on that and you can see downloaded file history, open a downloaded file, examine the folder it is in through WIndows Explorer, etc.
    ...See More
  • marylmi
    7 years ago

I did last summer and no problems at all. I am happy with it also.

• socks
    7 years ago

I have had it for quite a few months with no problems except getting used to it. Youtube videos help.

• Alisande
    7 years ago

I did, and wished I hadn't. I found it intrusive and maddening--especially the way it tried to "reorganize" my photos. Photos are a big deal with me, and I wanted my operating system to keep its hands off them. There's still at least one folder I never found after the changeover to Win10; fortunately, I have images saved elsewhere.

But that's just me. I think most people won't feel this way. I'm told the problems I experienced with Win10 are caused by its attempt to emulate Apple syncing, etc., and that makes sense. I'm not an Apple fan at all.

Also, I couldn't stand its oversaturated "screen saver" images. But I'm sure there's an easy way to get rid of them.

• gale_t
    7 years ago

Don't be askeered, Kath. I did it yesterday and have had no problems. Besides FREE is always good.

• marylmi
    7 years ago

You can always turn off screen savers. I don't miss them. Mine has been turned off for two years now.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I have chosen not to go to Windows 10, 7 will be supported till 2020 or 2021 something like that. By that time there will be some other versions I am sure. You may want to do a search here on KT for Windows 10 topics there have been several that asked this question and very good responses including things to check to make sure your computer is properly prepared and will work with 10. I would definitely do the compatibility checks at the very least. But that me, I want to avoid problems before hand.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

Like raven, I also chose to keep the status quo and do no upgrades to W10 for the 4 PCs in this household. One of them (a Sony) popped up a message to the point of "Don't upgrade this PC to W10, there are driver incompatibilities with this model that we aren't going to fix". Driver incompatibilities seem to be a common problem when trying to upgrade older hardware and can disable the machine. Is the risk worth taking?

Both Win 7 and 8 are stable and perform well. All that is gained with an upgrade, besides some confusion and disorientation for some, is a few years of added support. I expect the PCs I have now will be replaced long before the expiration date of their Windows versions and so for me, that wasn't a consideration.

Some people like to play and figit with their PCs and viewed the upgrade as another project for doing that. Me, I use them, I don't explore or adjust them when not necessary, and I don't fix what ain't broke.

If your PC is working fine, I say leave it be.

• loonlakelaborcamp
    7 years ago

You may not have a choice. My computer automatically installed it because the E-machines license ran out to use the previous version. It happened over the weekend all by itself. I have had several other co-workers have the same thing happened to them. You might as well install.

• lily316
    7 years ago

I've had it quite a few months and like it a lot. Of course before that was Windows 8.1 which I didn't like. I got 10 after all the bugs were fixed and it works flawlessly.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-temporarily-delay-the-anniversary-update/?ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=24858268305712254358654321561388

I just saw this article. I think I would wait until after August 2nd like by a few weeks because they are sending out a very big anniversary update similar to the service packs of old. Often times there are glitches and bugs. I would let that get shipped out and have time to work out the bugs. Then when you install it you should get the whole shebang at once.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

Do Win 10 users have any option regarding update installation or timing? There may be no choice.

I thought that was one of the features of Win 10 people were complaining about, that updates get pushed out and installed, period. If so, maybe the only way to postpone would be to not connect the PC to the internet.

I could be wrong.

• matti5
    7 years ago

It was done a month ago without my consent! I got daily pop ups for Windows 10, but was very happy with 7, UNTIL I came home to find my cats had downloaded it for me. No kidding! I came home to find the two laying on my desk with everything else on the floor, mouse and keyboard dangling and 3/4 of the way through installation of Windows 10. I guess the pop up must have been there and somehow got activated by them. Still puzzles me as wouldn't there have been more steps involved to activate. My e-mail was recently hacked, maybe it was the cats lol

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

No if you have a regular version not a business version you can not block updates which is why I suggest instead of installing 10 now wait until this big update has been pushed out and the bugs are worked out. Then if you have decided to go ahead with installing 10 and the compatibility tests checked out go for it. It will prevent installing now then on August 2 you get the big update and run into problems. Just makes sense to me if you have waited this long wait just a bit more and you will get windows 10 with the update included. Business versions and pro version do have an option to put off the big update for a few months as noted in the article. Those who have 10 now will automatically get the anniversary update, it's a big one so if you have limited downloads plan ahead!

• pkramer60
    7 years ago

I called my computer genius guy yesterday and he advised staying with 7 if I like it. I understand there is really nothing all that new to 10, just different 'set ups' for ir.

• Lindsey_CA
    7 years ago

Raven said, "I think I would wait until after August 2nd like by a few weeks because they are sending out a very big anniversary update similar to the service packs of old." and "Just makes sense to me if you have waited this long wait just a bit more and you will get windows 10 with the update included."

The article Raven linked starts out with a headline that includes: "If you're running Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, you can wait a few months before you install this version." So if you would be installing the home version (which I presume most folks would be), this doesn't apply to you.

If you download and install before July 29, you get it for free, if you wait until July 30 or later, you have to pay for it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

That's right I forgot when the free date ended. Although there has been discussion about extending the free period and it may be because of the big update. You never know with Microsoft! You can however from what I have read go and download and burn to disc the iso file for Windows 10 now and then install it whenever you want to.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Should you have an interest in the iso download you can get it directly from the Microsoft site and this article explains exactly how to go about it. I have no personal experience in this case. I wonder if they will limit access to the iso after the free period ends? No idea. I have done iso download and installs of Linux many times but never windows. So read on if you are interested.

Windows 10 iso file

• User
    7 years ago

I have windows 10 and it works fine for me

• debo_2006
    7 years ago

I am NOT upgrading both of my computers from 8.1 to 10. My reasoning is because I can't afford any potential issues happening to my laptop (I use it for my business/self-employed) and don't want to worry about rolling back to Win8/1 should anything happen. But the main reason is because Quickbooks 2012 and PhotoShop CS3 are not compatible work with 10. They both currently work fine and I don't need to upgrade them just to be compatible. If Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023, I'm fine with that. When I need a new computer in the next 3-4 years or so, it will come with Win10 and I'll cross the software bridge when I have to, or not.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How do you check for compatibility?

• User
    7 years ago

My computer guy said stick with 7 until I get a new computer in a couple of years. There is a program that will stop that pop up. I have it on all the computers in the house. GWX control panel.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I have several hundred folders with various documents and photos in them. If I couldn't find them for even one minute I'd be panic stricken. As it is, if I can't find something right away it takes me a minute to remember I might be accessing a different computer on the network and that all will be well as soon as I get into the right one.

• Michael
    7 years ago

The compatibility tool isn't always accurate.

According to Microsoft, my old Toshiba Satellite is compatible with Windows 10. However, during the installation I received this message:

The app developers haven't made these apps compatible with Windows 10, so they won't work. Check with the developers for support.

Utility Common Driver - Toshiba

Hardware Setup - Toshiba

It runs GREAT on Windows 7!

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

For compatibility, a good information source would be the PC 's manufacturer, though I've heard of some hiccups with bad info about some third party hardware (like graphics accelerator boards and NICs). All the companies have pages for this purpose. Be prepared by having the detailed model number of your PC.

The hardware manufacturers are responsible for writing and maintaining their own drivers - Microsoft accumulates them but doesn't administer or oversee what's done. They won't always know the right status and it's drivers that often cause the problems with OS upgrades.

To stop the popups (though they may stop of their own accord in a few days), google "never 10" and run the short app. Nothing to download.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all your help! I went and found that Sony "strongly recommends you don't download Windows 10 for your computer"! It's not compatible, although, it says you can do it, then they have that phrase about not downloading it. I guess I'll have to buy another computer in a few years?

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

Sony quietly sold its PC product line a few years ago to a newly formed company named VAIO (the PC brand name Sony used) and so has discontinued active development and support for its PCs. It's too bad because Sony PCs had an excellent quality reputation at the mid and higher price levels in the market. The one I own has been solid and we will continue to enjoy using it with Win7.

This is not unlike what IBM did a dozen years ago in selling its ThinkPad line to Lenovo. Lenovo at the time was a smaller but respected PC company. Since then, Lenovo has continued and most certainly has enhanced ThinkPads' reputation as being one of the best of the best. It's too soon to know if the standalone VAIO does as well with the reduced number of former-Sony models it has chosen to continue with.

• User
    7 years ago

Windows 10 downloaded once on my computer without my prompting it to do so. I quickly uninstalled it and reinstalled windows 7. The windows 10 icon is still there lurking. Tomorrow is the 29th and hopefully it won't download yet again. :(

• Michael
    7 years ago

I guess I'll have to buy another computer in a few years?

You'll probably be looking for a new computer in a few years, whether you download Windows 10 or stick with Windows 7.

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

Giving up my beloved XP was bad enough. I am sticking with Windows 7 for as long as I can. I do NOT want Windows 10 at all. I wish people could just keep what they like and are used to. All these new versions in my opinion are just money making schemes of Microsoft. If you don't take the free version, then later you will have to pay for it. That's my understanding.

• User
    7 years ago

Oh, I loved my windows XP and still miss it. The windows 10 icon finally disappeared from my task bar today. :)

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

Oh my...yes, that Windows 10 icon disappeared from my tray too. Sure glad to see it gone.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

It's important to keep up with current software versions for security reasons. Of course, if you aren't doing online transactions that is not a problem.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

"if you aren't doing online transactions that is not a problem"

I strongly disagree with this comment. Any PC that connects to the outside world, or connects to other PCs in a network and/or to any network that connects to the outside world, or even opens any type of file from such sources conveyed by any means (thumb drive, CD, etc), needs to stay current with software updates of all possible kinds.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I only meant the concern of identify theft or having credit card and banking information stolen would not be a problem. If you are just browsing around on the internet and chatting in email what danger are you in? I guess I forget.

Hopefully most people have AV and firewalls in place to catch things or clean it off should they pick something up (referring a non-transaction environment).

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

You should maybe slow down in continuing to give advice about things you don't seem to know much about.

The likelihood of sustaining a credit card loss, inconvenience, or
    identity theft solely from online financial and banking activity from home is very,
    very, very low. From what I've read, the risks that do exist have almost nothing to do with custom apps that many use or vulnerabilities in browser software exploited by bad guys in other ways and for other purposes.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

'You should maybe slow down in continuing to give advice about things you don't seem to know much about.'

Excuse me? Maybe you should stop telling people not to post on the internet, especially when you seem to be grossly uninformed on the nature of infections and what hackers' intents are in trying to get onto computers.

'The likelihood of sustaining a credit card loss, inconvenience, or identity theft solely from online financial and banking activity from home is very, very, very low. '

Who said anything about 'solely from online financial/banking activity?' You. Nevertheless, our business is big cybercriminal business.

That aside, viruses and hackers are most definitely after credit card information and such. What else do you think they are after? Just like to follow us around to see what we are up to?

There is an entire industry and force of non-profit vigilantes focused on combating hackers and malware. Cyber criminals are after our personal information. It's a fact, not an infrequent occurrence or minor nuisance. It is big business. Read up before you pose as an authority.

'From what I've read, the risks that do exist have almost nothing to do with custom apps that many use or vulnerabilities in browser software exploited by bad guys in other ways and for other purposes.'

What does this even mean? Custom apps? We are talking about updating Windows. I mentioned there are security issues around not keeping Windows updated - rather than it simply being a marketing ploy encouraging people to upgrade. If you are doing transactions online, it is prudent to keep your software updated. You can also lose personal photos and files to ransom ware these days if you don't back them up.

Browser vulnerabilities are not an issue? Really??

Please, do let companies like Google, Norton, ESET, Bleeping Computer and all the other companies know that it's not an issue. They are wasting an enormous amount of time, money and other resources combating cybercriminals.

Good grief. I don't even understand what your argument is. I'm not sure you do either.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

So, back to your original objection:

'I strongly disagree with this comment. Any PC that connects to the outside world ... needs to stay current with software updates of all possible kinds.'

If you are just browsing around on the internet, chatting on email, typing letters in your word processor - no transactions involving personal information - what is the risk in not having the latest version of Windows?

'The likelihood of sustaining a credit card loss, inconvenience, or identity theft solely from online financial and banking activity ... or vulnerabilities in browser software ... from home is very, very, very low. '

Then why is it that you strongly recommend 'Any PC that connects to the outside world ... needs to current with software updates of all possible kinds?'

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Yes, I miss my XP also! I loved the Media Center it had. It was the best for photos. However, the computer died and the new one came with 7. I never went with any of the 8s at all, but went ahead with 10. I haven't had any trouble.

• jakkom
    7 years ago

We have multiple PCs - one is too old for Win10; DH uses it for overnight down/uploads that don't need super-speed. He upgraded his Samsung tablet without a problem.

However, we took two of our computers into our local shop for the Win10 upgrade. His Toshibia Qosmia laptop needed a HD upgrade to handle the install. My desktop is the server for our network, so I have a very specific setup for certain programs. I preferred to have the shop handle the upgrade in case there were any issues. We've dealt with them for twenty yrs so we have a good working relationship.

I didn't bother to upgrade my old ASUS netbook. I only use it for limited word processing and occasional Net surfing. The battery is dying (for the third time) so I'll be replacing it with one of the new ultralites pretty soon. I wanted to wait for the extended-battery life models to arrive; my ASUS goes 11 hrs on a charge and it really makes traveling much easier.

Win10 seems very stable and there's only a few changes from XP. Nothing major. Certain websites I go to that were problematic before, are behaving in a more stable manner and overall response time seems a touch quicker. Overall, we're pleased.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

jakkom, I can't imagine why a PC would have required a hard drive upgrade - The Microsoft site says Win 10 only takes up 20 GB at most, a small portion of most hard drives.

For those who want laptops with long battery lives, consider one with a solid state hard drive - aka as an SSD.