SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mister_craig

Need help choosing a reliable washer within next couple of days

Mister Craig
7 years ago

My troublesome Samsung topload washer is giving us a headache and not worth fixing so we are planning on getting a new washer as soon as possible. We wash about 4-5 loads per week on average. Currently my wife and I, a 1 year old and a college nephew living with us. Located in Sacramento, CA. Laundry is on 2nd floor, house built in 2003.

We don't really need anything fancy. Just the basics. Budget is <$800, but may go up to $1000 if it's worth it.
Have been doing some research for the past couple of days looking at frontloaders. I broken down brands to Whirlpool, LG or Electrolux. Seems like Electrolux is more popular with less concerns versus the other two, however more pricey. Speed Queen seems even better, however likely out of budget.

Some contenders so far are

1) LG 4270 (~$750)

2) Whirlpool Duet - WFW87HEDW ($799 homedepot), WFW92HEFW ($989 homedepot)

3) Electrolux 50, 55 or 60 (I'm not sure what the differences are outside of price and the 60 being slightly larger)

I was almost going with the LG 4270 (especially at the price + a $50 rebate), but not sure if water hammering will be an issue in a tract home build in 2003. Also I read concerns of poor/long service if need repair. Not sure what the main differences between the Whirlpool Duet 87 and 92 versions besides size. Same goes with the Electrolux.

Any advice would be appreciated and open to other suggestions. Thank you!

Comments (24)