SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinavhh

Please help me choose my next washer and dryer!

katrinavhh
8 years ago

Hi all, I have pored through this forum (and Laundry) as well as others, and CR, to help get closer to a laundry plan for my family, and I'm stumped. Or just overwhelmed by the choices. Either way, I need someone's advice and my husband is not very interested!

Here's who we are: family of 5 with LOTS of laundry. We average 12 loads a week, sometimes more, sometimes (a bit) less. I know that's probably ridiculous.

I'm hoping that you all can read this and help me see the theme...given all of these thoughts, what would you suggest?

The laundry room: Second floor on a wood floor. Lots of space. Not yet "done" with cabinetry, so I'll design around the new units.

Budget: No constraint; in general I'm glad to spend more to get better overall quality but not necessarily fancy features. And while I just spent $1K on a vacuum cleaner, I found my dishwasher for $199 at a scratch-and-dent and love it.

FL or TL? I seriously can't decide. I know this is question #1 and I can't get past it.

Re: FL... 1. I am now in the habit of buying fewer but better clothes (thank you, Marie Kondo), so I like the idea of washing that's gentler on the clothing. 2. I also have to admit I like how they look, and the idea of a pretty new laundry room is hugely appealing. 3. Long wash times don't bother me, as I do laundry in bits and pieces throughout the day. 4. But I am concerned about vibration and noise, since it's a second floor location. 5. We are in an area without water concerns, so aside from a moral tug to save resources, I don't have a strong need to reduce water use.

Re: TL: 1. I often throw items in after the wash has started (as I find little dirty piles around the house!) 2. FL issues scare me into wanting a TL...at least I know what I'm dealing with! 3. My laundry habits are not ideal, i.e. my loads are full of different fabrics, etc., and although I wish I could do better, it seems I can't stay on top of the laundry around here unless I forget "perfect"...I understand this habit could cause problems in the spin cycle of a FL

Other desires: - capacity large enough for king-sized blankets, down pillows, several pool towels, etc. (not at the same time, ha!) - I prefer electronic controls (if quality) - I'm loving the idea of automatic detergent dispensing - Onboard heaters are appealing for the "sanitary cycle" (my kids are still potty training!) - My hook-ups put the washer to the left of the dryer

THANKS for 1) reading all this and hopefully 2) chiming in with your two cents. You folks are hugely helpful for lonely information-overloaded shoppers like me!

Comments (10)