SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dosu

My new LG washer arrived...

dosu
7 years ago

I started a load in my new LG 4270 front loader ( the one with the square window) and realize window is tinted gray-blue. I can barely see the clothes washing. can barely see how much suds... What were they thinking!!

Comments (35)

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Congrats on the new washer! Guess you won't be watching Wash TV.

dosu thanked Jeannie Cochell
  • sspeer9
    7 years ago

Are you using the internal light? I can't see inside without it, but with the light, it's pretty visible

dosu thanked sspeer9
  • Related Discussions

My new LG Wave Force washer Review

Q

Comments (150)
    Dont you think that if they had left the machine alone it would still be fine today, other than the plastic squeak? I know as I said before that the old Calypsos had this type hanging system(and possibly GE) and I have heard the Calypso make the squeak and creak noise. As I told you before I hate to have something new with a "flaw" but I have also felt that sometimes I was too picky and would convince myself I needed to get it checked out only to be sicker(& madder)after service. A car for example, have a small rattle, carry in for service, they take half the car apart to fix it, then when you start home you no longer have that rattle, you have three more to go with it where they took things apart--now that is my luck--and I am thinking"Why on earth didnt I live with one small rattle but it is too late to back up then". Just go forward from here and I think I would try another one like you have. It seems like a great washer and you know that the LG made F/L didnt last you very long so maybe this next one will?. OH and about Sears using Electolux now instead of LG for front-loaders, I have always been told it depends on who bid the cheapest to build them. Not sure if that is true but I have heard that. Maybe you need to start looking for the 57 Lady Kenmore!
    ...See More

New LG WM2688 washer... noise?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have an LG WM2016 and I can attest to the quiet rrrrrrrAArrrr rrrrrAArrrr sound. Mine does it too. It reminds me of a chain saw running off in the distance. But I haven't noticed any clicking when the drum changes direction.
    ...See More

a rubber or a flexible washer machine water hose?

Q

Comments (10)
    I took a look at prices for the above valve . One vendor used catastrophic in the description. Presently there is constant pressure on these feed lines so the rubber can burst. Even though I have a drain , I am sure the drain will not remove the water fast enough and have damage to a wood floor that butts the laundry room tile. You are correct and I am being both silly and stupid. I was hoping not to have the plumber here again. The operative word is again. I do most of the home repairs but if it involves a torch I leave it for the professionals. I appreciate you postings. Where can I find the above valve?
    ...See More

My love-hate relationship with my new FL LG washer...

Q

Comments (1)
    You couldn't pay me to own a TL again. Why did you buy one? FL's do such an incredible job with getting things clean, that it's downright freaky. Even my dirtiest rags used for auto cleanup come out mostly spotless (and I'm talking WHITE cotton rags, used on tires and other grime, silicone residue, you name it). Plus, a FL uses very little water. When we had a TL, the hottest water, with tons of detergent, never got our rags clean. There would be a huge amount of black scum at the top of the drum/agitator. I'd run them a second time--same results. Rags remained quite dirty and the drum was filthy. No matter what I throw at the FL (Samsung 520) the drum remains clean.
    ...See More
  • dosu
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ok, I figured out how to turn it on, I think...

they tell you ..

"to turn on during a cycle. 1. Press the power button and turn cycle selector... to select desired cycle. 2 Press Start/pause 3. Press the Extra Rinse button for 3 seconds during the wash cycle."

all that and the light only stays on for 4 minutes?? and secondly.. when you press Power button, it stops the cycle completely... maybe i'm missing something. I will try this again...

Does anyone else have this washer??

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

You are. All you have to do is press and hold the xtravrinse button for 3 sec at anytime once thevcycle is started. It is not necessary to power off the machine or pause it.

dosu thanked rpsinfoman
  • larsi_gw
    7 years ago

I had a Kenmore Elite, same as LG....Do what rpsinfo says. You can turn the light on during any part of any cycle!! So easy!!

dosu thanked larsi_gw
  • dosu
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ok.. just have to press Extra Rinse for 3 seconds...duh. Why don't they just say THAT.

Also seems to have much less water than my 5 yr old LG:( Will have to play with the cycles. Maybe some have more than others.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

Your LG 4270 is a Tier III machine. It does use less water than your 5 year old LG which was probably a Tier II machine. Try Bulky and/or Comforter for maximum water. Does this machine have the "add water" feature? My big LG doesn't have that, I wish it did.

dosu thanked poppy214
  • sspeer9
    7 years ago

No add water. I really wish it did. The wash doesn't seem to be a big deal with the turbo option..but rinsing is really where it's needed. I always add an extra rinse or two

dosu thanked sspeer9
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Poppy..there's always the hose Hahaha

• dosu
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Poppy and sspeer.... no, it doesn't have the Water Plus. My previous LG 2501 did have that feature and I used it fairly often. This 4270 says it's a Tier 2, but when I did a very small load I would expect to see a bit of excess water and there was none in the tub. I'm thinking. perhaps it adjusted the water level based on the light load? I had some towels with dog hair and am on my 2nd try with getting rid of some of it. I will try the Bulky and see what happens. This model has way more cycle options than my last one... too many! Not sure what the Turbo option does.. i'll have to start reading the manual tomorrow;)

• poppy214
    7 years ago
    • Turbo speeds up the cycle but doesn't add water. I use bulky with 2 extra rinses and steam to remove animal hair. If you add steam be careful with the detergent or you'll have suds. Too small load can be a problem both with the water level and the balance on the spin.
    • @Pinky can't add more than 3 qts of water to my LG or the sensor triggers the drain sequence.
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

LOL Poppy I was actually joking haha..but it surprises me how many people do add a bit more water to their FL.

About steam on the LG..does your machines complete the wash cycle, drain than steam or does it keep the wash water in and steam? I ask because mine drains than steams. I rarely use steam, I see where it may be useful to break up some stains but I really ddon't care for my steam..today I used it on allergen and I lost a lot of actual wash time..I'd rather have the clothes tumbling in hot water and detergent than sitting there steaming with an occasional tumble..I'm not even sure mine is really steaming..I don't see steam..nor does the glass door look any different..LOL.. no I'll take the extra tumbling in conditioned water.

• sspeer9
    7 years ago

I have this same model as well. I like the turbo not because of time, but that it actually sprays the wash and rinse water onto the clothing, getting them wet earlier and perhaps more throughly, more quickly.

I've used the steam option a few times. I don't recall when exactly it steams..it seems to really extend the wash time. As crazy as I am, I don't really want to sit by the washer over 2 hours to time it haha. I have noticed the window getting steamed up..so that's good I guess. Supposedly LG uses a generator to make 'real' steam.

I use Perm press and Large/Bulky most often. Occasionally the normal and the Bright whites for whites..not sure it actually does much except longer cycles. I don't like the Towel setting. I think it defaults to warm water and a super high spin. I like hot and a medium spin.. The high spin seems matts down the fibers too much and the slightly longer drying time helps fluff them back up

dosu thanked sspeer9
  • rpsinfoman
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@pink - the word steam is a misnomer. On the LG machines it forces the onboard heater on in any cycle steam is allowed. Forces a HOT wash, and depending on what cycle is selected, the target temperatures will vary by cycle. For example, BULKY with Steam forces a 143F water temp.. with max water kevel. TOWELS with Steam yields a 131F water temperature. NORMAL with Steam 152F. SANITARY with Steam 159F. Its a very flexiable machine, that is once you figure it out.

Another interesting find is the Sanitary cycle and soil level are uniquely related to target wash temperature. Sanitary lightest soil 127F, less soil 131F, Normal soil 152F, More soil 155F and Heavy 159F. Combined with Turbo wash which raises the rinse water level considerably, and adding back an extra rinse because using turbo wash cuts one deep level rinse out of the cycle. In many cases this is simply my default go to cycle since its so flexible. For example a 131F wash with 2 rinses in 1:30min, great for towels. Or 152F wash and 2 rinses 1:43min.

dosu thanked rpsinfoman
  • poppy214
    7 years ago

@Pinky Didn't get up early enough to respond to steam on the LG. Rpsinfoman should write the LG manuals. I use my on board heater named steam for all the hot wash cycle needs. Mine doesn't have a towels cycle so I use bulky. I also prefer the deeper regular rinses to turbo, so I don't use that much.

dosu thanked poppy214
  • rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

Actually with Turbo wash engaged, the rinse level is higher than the standard level rinse. It does this because Turbo cuts a full rinse out of the cycle. The default is 2 and with Turbo it is 1 but enables spray rinsing between wash, and rinses. So selecting an extra rinse and using Turbo gives superior high level rinsing at about the level of the Bulky cycle plus the benefit of the twin spray running throughout the rinse. IMO these machines rinse extremely well!

dosu thanked rpsinfoman
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Thanks Sin for your explanation..yes you should write the manual as Poppy says.

Guess my steam is gimmicky..I guess if its actually steaming it may help break up some stains but since it does this after it drains there's no actual bath time after the steaming is done in order to finish removing the stains or soils the steam broke up . Theres also the fact that enabling my steam shortens my actual bath time.

Dosu...I'm sorry I got off topic here.....congrats on your new LG, I hope you have many years of good service and clean clothes. I would have chosen a LG myself but that service is problematic in my area, ...I have no regrets though. A new washer is such fun haha

dosu thanked mamapinky0
  • dosu
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all, hadn't had chance to respond. I'm playing with the different cycles... I tried Bulky/Large which, as was said, seemed to give me more water, although I would really like effects of the Allergiene or Sanitary on my bedding. Im realizing that the Turbo sprays the water into the middle of the clothes saturating them, in effect, eliminating the need for excess water in the tub, which is great for all the "more water" people like me;)

Has anyone with this machine have the issue that the rubber gasket does not tilt toward the drum fully enough to drain all the water out ?? I never had to wipe my previous machine and the gasket was different. Angled differently( better) and sturdier.. Never had mold on a FL and don't want to start now!!

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

One thing Dosu, if you want to wash bed sheets in the extreme temp cycles make sure they are made of good high quality 100% cotton or linen...no poly otherwise the high temps will probably cause piling.

• dosu
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks, Mamap. Yes, all are 100% cotton. I'm not sure how hot the allergiene cycle gets. Mainly want it for body oils and dust mites, which cycle do use for sheets and towels?

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

"Sanitary lightest soil 127F, less soil 131F, Normal soil 152F, More soil 155F and Heavy 159F." Is this an NSF-certified Sanitary cycle?

• dosu
    Original Author
    7 years ago

rps.... ok that's good to know. I reset it to Allergiene just in case, thinking it would be hotter than Bulky. Good to know i'm getting hot enough with Bulky/steam is 131, and sufficient to eliminate dust mites etc? Allergiene may just be more heavy duty, not necessarily higher temp?

It seems to be having trouble balancing a mattress pad (queen) by itself.. stayed at 9 min left for half an hour on medium spin...finally finished, but any suggestions? it wasn't even all cotton and lighter weight... hate to tell it the all cotton mattelasse coverlet is next!

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

@dosu- Bulky with steam exceeds the Allergen temp. It runs at 143F. What cycle on the mattress pad?

Balancing single items can be an issue. Tip: power off the machine. power on machine, without selecting a cycle select a spin speed with the pushbutton, and then start. Not all of those cycles balance the same. This is a quick workaround.

dosu thanked rpsinfoman
  • poppy214
    7 years ago

@dosu mattress pad probably needs some towels to help balance. Try spinning on low even if you have to do it twice. Coverlet is a challenge. I wash mine with no spin, let it drain and then spin on low. Same as abive, may take two spins.

• asko_buyer
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

dosu: I have twice used the Bulky cycle on my 3570 to wash spill-resistant queen-sized mattress pads. I turned the spin speed down to low, as per a suggestion on a webpage on the LG site that I stumbled upon one day. It spun for a normal amount of time, which I think is 3 minutes in the Bulky cycle. The owners manual suggests washing only one blanket at a time - and this is what I did with the mattress pads I washed. (BTW: LG states in the owners manual not to wash waterproof clothing in their FL machines.)

rpsinfoman: I am very impressed by the information you have posted. Is any of this published by LG, or is this what you have measured yourself with extensive experimentation with your LG washer?

dosu thanked asko_buyer
  • rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

@asko - not published by manufacturer.

• dosu
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks asko/rps/poppy.. I may just do coverlet and blankets in the smaller 3.7cf duet. I'm feeling that the larger machines are just too big for the blankets to balance well. I thought of putting towels in with the mattress cover, but I know the towels would have been heavier and put it off balance even more. I don't want to ruin this new machine...

How many of you have gotten the extended warranties??

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Dosu..I think you should play around a bit and try to find a system that works for blankets ect..what good is a larger machine if it isn't used for larger bulkier things. It is going to take more than a few practice loads to ruin the machine. Whats it like on a load of towels?

• dosu
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mama...haven't accumulated enough towels as yet... we are only two adults and don't change them out everyday. the teenager does his own laundry in the downstairs Duet. I would imagine a load of towels will do ok with all the same density in there. I will play around with the loads, but to be honest, maybe should have gone with a smaller machine.. I also do three all cotton bath mats every other week... I'm sure that will be an issue. I'm going to try what asko buyer said and set on low spin/bulky and then maybe let it drain before spin cycle again. Do you purchase an extended warranty? I'm going to register the purchase with my credit card company which will give me an additional year, but not sure if I should buy an additional extended

• loves2read
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

How is that LG 3560 holding up? I ordered a 3670 from Costco on sale (free pedestals basically) to get the Xtra water feature vs turbo--can't get both on one machine apparently--Get xtra yr warranty up front--bought an extended Square Trade Warranty plus get 2 yr warranty from Costco Visa CC for free...

• asko_buyer
    6 years ago

@loves2read: I am assuming you directed the question about the LG 3560 to me. The answer is it is holding up just fine after 1 year of use. I tend to use the Perm Press for regular clothes, Cotton/Normal for towels and socks, Bulky/Large for bedding and sleeping bags, and Delicates for delicate/fragile clothing. I avoid using spin speeds greater than medium because faster spin speeds seems to wear down items faster.

A friend of mine recently bought a 3670, and he likes it quite a bit. I am surprised that it doesn't have Turbo Wash, which is really handy if you need to get a load done quickly using a standard cycle. Beware of the Speed Wash cycle - its default spin speed is extra high, which can be hard on your clothing. Enjoy it.

• loves2read
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Good to know about the spin speed for Speed Wash--can you change/override that with a slower one using the control board? I still have not heard from LG/Costco regarding delivery date for what I ordered...and the info does say that it can take longer than ordering from Lowe's or likely even an on-line source...

• asko_buyer
    6 years ago

You can adjust the spin speed using the spin speed button, which is in the bottom row of buttons on the control panel. I don't know of any control board adjustments that are possible. You should be able to store one custom cycle in the machine. Refer to the owner's manual on how to do this.

• loves2read
    6 years ago

I ordered an LG w/d set from Costco.com---washer is 3670 in white and dryer is DLEX3370--this washer has the EXTRA WATER feature for wash and EXTRA RINSE feature---you can get both to work on same cycle if you pause during rinse feature and add Extra Rinse...

They have been installed and used for past couple of weeks in our FL/seasonal home. We have PEX piping and there is some water hammer effect--mainly when I use the HOT water wash feature--maybe notice it more because the water heater is in garage and wall of the den where we spend most time is right behind water heater--and laundry room is down hall from den--not across house from it.

So far they both work well...I have done some heavy loads of towels (beach and bath), King sz cotton coverlet, bath rugs...there were times when I had to pause the cycle and rearrange the load trying to get it to spin better. I used the SLOW spin for some of those and went back afterward and added another spin on MEDIUM after cycle was done...

The loads I have done have come out clean--but we are not into hard exercise and didn't have anything really dirty or sweaty--and no kids. The PERM PRESS cycle and SPEED cycle for regular clothes seems to work equally well...I have used TOWELS, Bright Whites, Heavy/bulky (for quilt and rugs), Delicates as well---have not used the Sanitize ones yet.

I have used the ADD WATER feature on wash cycle and when the cycle moved to rinse have paused and added an extra RINSE extending the cycle time. One thing I have noticed is that with heavy items adding more water to wash cycle above what the machine calculates adds more weight which can be a negative for the spin cycles...maybe making load off balance more than the regular amount. And clothes do seem to finish pretty tangled no matter if I add extra water or extra rinse---I usually have load of perm press type clothing that is more than half the washer so maybe not running a "big" load".

The dryer works well but I miss having a tumble cycle that takes out wrinkles if I come later--or maybe there is one to extend tumble but I haven't read the instruction book to see how to trigger it...Sometimes towels seem a little damp after their normal cycle if there was very full load...and have had to add time...

So far am pleased--it doesn't seem much more noisy than the GE we replaced-Can be very quiet depending on the number of rinses it is doing. I don't know that the dropped angle of the washer drum is that helpful to pulling out clothes...I think it is harder to dry the gasket than in the front loader GE I got rid of...I have been leaving the soap drawer open like the door---this has a magnet catch to keep door from falling open but the GE was better at leaving door ajar wider than the LG...