SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giantsean

Need some advice on recessed layout

giantsean
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi. I am trying to figure out best placement for a larger but somewhat awkwardly shaped 2nd floor bedroom (a few jogs) of approx. 170 sq feet. It already has an existing center light which I plan to convert to a ceiling fan fixture. We also demo'd an existing closet to make a sort of nook for a desk. There is attic space above in which to maneuver so I have a lot of flexibility with wiring.

So my plan now is to add some recessed lights to both light the room and the desk area. I was thinking 4x six-inch cans with surface mount LED trim spread around the room would suffice, but then got into reading the calculators which said 6-8 is a better number. This is just a kid's bedroom so it doesn't have to be extravagant, just better lit than it is now, so if I can get away with four then that's 2-4 less plaster holes I need to bust out :). As for the closet area, I was thinking two 4" LED cans on a dimmer would be more than enough... which would be great because I happen to have exactly that number on hand.

I have attached a very crude (and totally not to scale) area plan to illustrate the shape and sizes. Appreciate all thoughts!

Comment