SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rrschmitz

moving the kitchen? need some layout advice

rrschmitz
8 years ago

Hi Everyone, I need your help. We've decided to do some remodeling to help the flow of our home. Originally our plan was to put on a small addition with a half bath and mud room, but in an effort to help us think outside of the box, we hired a designer who specializes in redesigning your home to make it more useful. The design was different and intriguing, instead of adding a bath and mudroom, we instead move the rooms around, kitchen becomes a half bath/mudroom/laundry, dining room becomes a central kitchen, and we add a dining room as an addition. On paper it seemed like a great plan, but once I broke out the tape measure I started to realize that things weren't making sense. I'm reaching out to you all, to see if this plan can be organized in a better way, or if we should just drop the idea.

I'm attaching the designs given to us, this shows the whole first floor:

As I said, these plans did not include measurements, and as I started graphing it out, I realized the layout of the new kitchen just wasn't adding up. Here is a recreation of the 'After' design to scale. Each square = 1 foot

Lets talk about what I love about this change.

1. having the Kitchen as the center of the house seems great. We have a toddler who is always getting into things in the living room while we are working in the kitchen

2. large island for work space and entertaining. A second work space that overlooks the living room

3. I think adding a dining room without plumbing would be cheaper than adding a half bath, but maybe I'm wrong. moving the plumbing to the new kitchen shouldn't be bad because the basement underneath is unfinished and close to the main stack.

Things I don't like:

1. Stove in the corner. It seems like it takes up way too much space there, but I can't imagine how else to do it, thats where you come in.

2. no wall space for cabinets

3. Removing the extended double windows in the middle of the room. Look at the before pic, and you see that we have 2 windows that jut out a foot from the house, but the after photo removes the extension, and makes it 1 window. seems unnecessary to remove it.

Oh and finally, theres the question of whether we should do this at all. our home is a 100 year old foursquare, and I wonder if changing the design hurts the history of it. Theres nothing remarkable or historical about our house that makes it stand out from the dozens of other old homes in our neighborhood, but I think about resale someday, and people looking for older homes, have an expectation that the original layout is intact. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, a home is meant to be lived in right??

Comments (23)