SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

Hot as h*ll here. Do I need to be worried about my fogged-up dryer?

MizLizzie
7 years ago

It has been incredibly hot and humid here in NC, especially bad today. This morning -- and not for the first time this summer -- I noticed fog on the glass door of my Speed Queen dryer. Heavy fog this time. This is the ATE9 stack, electric. I don't recall seeing it last year, but who knows.

Today I saw it when I went in to move up a load of towels, just washed on hot -- two washes, plus a soak cycle -- 99 minutes total. The glass door above the washer was fogged over and when I opened it to pitch the wet towels up, the door had beaded moisture all over the door and along the drum. A lot of moisture.

Is this just condensation from the hot air below rising up through the machine to hit the cold metal drum? Or is there an issue with our ductwork that allows hot air to come into the house? From my limited grasp of physics, this seems impossible. But this was enough damp that, had I not been throwing in towels to dry, would have warranted leaving the door open to avoid mold, like you do with your washer drum. Should I be leaving the dryer door cracked? Am I paranoid?

Thanks!

Comments (6)