SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

I'm worried about my friend...

tisha_
14 years ago

I sort of just need to ramble on about something for a while. I hope no one minds.

My very best friend of the past 23 years, is in trouble. The problem is, I'm not sure exactly which type of trouble she's in. I know all of the main components of what's going on... but I don't know how they all fit together. I know what I think might be happening... and I've thought it for a long time, but then I worry that maybe I'm wrong. And then I feel horrible for thinking it. But can it really be this horrible and this bad for this long???

It started with a phone call, 18 years ago. We were about 15 years old at the time. She called me, to tell me she was in the hospital. They didn't know what was wrong with her, but she'd had a horrible pain in her head, and then passed out. So, they did all the tests. Her mother had some sort of tumor on her brain 10 years before, so of course they all thought the worst. But all the scans and tests couldn't find anything. Apparently she'd had what someone at some point during that hospital stay decided to call, a "Sudden Onset Migraine" and she passed out from it.

This has gone on, fairly regularly, since then. She almost didn't graduate from high school because of this condition. Most people, myself included, thought it must be at least partially a put-on for attention. They always seemed to happen around the time that something else happened. She had a fight with her boyfriend, and then she'd pass out the next day... she got a bad grade on a test, and then she'd pass out a few hours later... etc, etc, etc.

But, wanting to believe her, I started to wonder if it was really happening, and because of SOMETHING her body just shut down. Like, maybe she was really having a migraine, and because she has some sort of low tolerance for pain or something, her body would pass out, to cope. Maybe she really was having these physical things happen to her, in a real way, because of the stress from a fight or a bad grade or whatever. Maybe she wasn't faking.

But it was just sort of TOO much. It just seemed like too much. And then I'd go back to not believing her fully. And then I'd feel bad for that.

Then, after HS, we were roommates for a while (btw, it's true what they say, about never living with good friends... it's always a bad idea!). I saw her have one of these migraine/pass-out episodes. And let me tell you, if she's acting, she's the best damn actress I've ever seen. It was horrible to see. And yet, I'd still find myself doubting her.

Well, a few years passed, she lived somewhere else for a while, things got better, etc. Then the divorce came, and things got SO much worse. She started having back pain and hip pain, along with the headaches. She's on a lot of medication, etc. And then her mom got cancer.

Shortly after that, my friend ended up in the hospital. She was having a severe stabbing pain in her right side. They did all the tests... it wasn't her gall bladder, it wasn't her appendix, etc. But, she did have a small cyst on her left ovary. But, they said that it was fairly common and that it should reabsorb and should NOT be causing this much pain, if any at all. And especially not on the OPPOSITE side!

But, after 2 weeks of staying at an 8 on a pain scale of 1-10, they decided to do surgery to remove the cyst. And it helped. Until the gallbladder pain started a few months later. So they took her gall bladder out.

Then the back pain got worse. She was diagnosed with some sort of degenerative disk something. I can't remember the name of it. So, after 6 months or so, she decided to go in for surgery. Then she lost her last job and her insurance.

She's been on unemployment for a while now, while trying to get disability. Because, whether it's real or psychological at this point, she can't hold down a job. She's been turned down twice now, and has moved on to talking to a lawyer. And now her mom's gone out of remission, and the cancer is back.

Yesterday I called her, and she was in the hospital. The stabbing pain is back. And she has another cyst on her left ovary, again. The new doctor won't remove it and says that the last doctor shouldn't have either. She's on morphine, and at an 8 on the scale of 1-10 and they are out of ideas.

The new doctor told her that she's addicted to narcotics, which she already knew. And he told her he believes she has Chronic Pain (syndrome or disorder or whatever). And that makes absolute sense to me. That's kind of what I've wondered all along, since we were 15, but of course I didn't have a name for it...it was just an idea.

But what's the treatment for that? Especially without insurance. I'm wondering if she gets an official diagnosis of that, if it will help with the disability thing, so she can at least get insurance again.

I just, I wish I knew how to help her. I wish I knew if it was all real or not. I also wish I didn't question her so much, because I feel like someday, I'm going to regret it.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions