SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shebabee

Growers of Sophie's Perpetual -- questions for you

shebabee
7 years ago

Hello,

You may have seen my other recent post about growing roses in a very foggy, windy San Francisco neighborhood. I thought I'd approach my problem from another angle.

I have Sophie's Perpetual, in a container. I bought her from Vintage during their final days. Even in my pretty bad location, she is doing wonderfully. Boy, do I love this little rose! So beautiful and such delicious perfume. Flowers remain on the bush for 8 days, still beautiful and fragrant. I am going to try propagating her--my first attempt with a rose cutting!

Since I haven't yet found others on the forum who are growing in my location, I thought that perhaps those of you growing Sophie's P. might tell me if you have other OGRs that you feel behave similarly to her and get similar treatment/exposure, etc. Perhaps those roses would work for me as well.

I also have a Crepuscule that is looking good and has some big fat buds on her, but the first one has been trying to open for almost two (foggy, chilly) weeks now! So I'm not sure if this rose will work for me here--I do hope so.

I have a David Austin rose, Heritage, which did fairly well in the past and has leafed out very nicely and has some buds now. My little Buff Beauty, the only one in the ground, is suddenly coming alive, putting out tons of new leaves and one new cane, and I see some tiny buds. She has been in the ground (getting very little care, it's true) for three years, putting out 3 roses each year on the same branch, not growing noticeably at all! So this sudden burst of energy is very gratifying; she did get more feeding than before in recent months.

I don't expect the kind of growth or huge flower flushes that most of you would expect from your roses, given the conditions I'm dealing with. But with these roses doing more or less OK and Sophie's P. doing well, perhaps some of you could make some recommendations? Again, I have a very small space and I am interested primarily in fragrance. Thank you,

Sheba

in the fog

Comments (13)