SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Help me choose Bourbons and Hybrid Perpetuals

melissa_thefarm
11 years ago

I'm making up an order to a nursery with a large rose selection and would like feedback on roses belonging to these two classes. To confess the truth at once, I'm not a fan of the Bourbons and the HPs. They seem too prone to fungal diseases, the Hybrid Perpetuals have a reputation for being heavy feeders, and the Bourbons to my eyes lack the charm of the once-blooming old roses and are not much more floriferous, given that my roses don't get much summer water and so don't rebloom that much. Still, I would like to experiment--perhaps I'll modify my opinions--and would like recommendations. Tell me your favorites. Help me fall in love. I already have the following Bourbons: 'Louise Odier', 'Zephirine Drouhin', 'Honorine de Brabant', 'Mme. Pierre Oger', 'Bourbon Queen', 'Blairii No. 2', 'Mme. Francois Pittet', 'Variegata di Bologna', 'Souv. de la Malmaison', and 'Souv. de St. Anne's'. SDLM and its offspring I do like, in large part for their scent; and 'Louise Odier' is a fine old warhorse. Several of the others are young plants not yet arrived at maturity. 'Variegata di Bologna' looks like it may put on a show in a few years.

I have a few Hybrid Perpetuals that arrived in the garden without names, some of them roses traditionally grown for making syrup. Varieties that came with names include 'Reine des Violettes', 'Enfant de France', 'Reynolds Hole', and 'Marchese Boccella'/'Jacques Cartier'. I don't know whether 'Mme. Boll'/'Comte de Chambord' is considered a Hybrid Perpetual, but it's there too. Now that is a very fine rose.

We all know that garden conditions have a big say in how a rose does. My garden has dry hot summers, fresher at night, and cool wet winters with abundant chill hours; the ground is heavy clay, I would say close to neutral or slightly alkaline. Many of my roses get some summer mildew, but it doesn't seem to do them any harm; blackspot comes mostly at the end of the growing season, and rust is almost unknown. Almost all plants in the big garden are in full sun and get a lot of wind as well. These two classes of old roses have impressed me with their toughness if not always with their health and beauty. I've been finding out that they need a good deal of pruning, and the plants have improved as I've cut out old canes.

A last question: do Hybrid Perpetuals tend to be susceptible to chlorosis? Among almost all my roses the HPs seem to have the palest leaves and to be puny where nearby roses are more thriving.

Thanks for your feedback!

Melissa

Comments (23)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm