SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candyrumpus14

Hybrid Perpetuals + hot, humid summers = bad combo?

First time posting on the Antique Roses forum -- hi everyone. Looking into the best option for an antique rose. I'd love to acquire a rose in a deep mauve shade, or even darker (burgundy or wine colored blooms). But...I'm on the Northeast East Coast, Zone 7b, very hot and humid summers and fairly cold winters.

I'm enchanted with the Reine des Violettes right now -- the idea of the heady fragrance, the arching, languid-looking form, deep mauve color -- all very compelling. But I'm worried about dealing with a lot of blackspot. Also, I've seen photos of the RdV ranging anywhere from a deep mauve to more of a hot pink? What have been your experiences with the color? So hard to tell from internet photos.

Also checking out Old Roses -- the Gallica 'Tuscan Superb' aka 'Superb Tuscan' is looking appealing, but in some web pics it looks more orange-y red red. Nice, but not what I'm looking for.

The roses in my garden are Hybrid Teas -- lovely, disease-free, tidy upright canes, but barely any fragrance. I yearn to add the drama, magic, mystery etc. of an Antique, but wonder if it's a good idea or not. Maybe I should just get a nice Munstead Wood and leave the Antiques to those who have more dry, arid summer air?

Comments (72)