SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shettydiwakar

Small interior 12V transformer for 40 ft wiring length

D Shet
7 years ago

I am thinking of using a 12V LED lamp (somewhere around 15 to 30W to have hopefully 700 or 800 lumens) to light up my lawn lamp post which is around 40 ft from where I can install a 120 to 12V transformer. Also I would like to install the transformer inside my garage and then have the 12V cable coming out from the stone/concrete front side wall and then underground through 40 feet of length.

Is this feasible? I would like to have the transformer inside the garage because I want to avoid installing the big bulky outdoor landscape kind of transformers on the front of the house for aesthetics reasons.

Is there any interior 12V transformer which is small in size and can be mounted on a drywall and can support a 40ft wire length on the 12V side (I can install a 12 or 10 AWG UF-B if that helps with the voltage drop)?

Primarily looking for interior and small transformer (50 VA or so) and with long life (unlike electronic transformer which I heard have only a 6 or 7 year span). Is torroidal transformer a good solution or a stack laminated one? I saw one from VOLT brand for 75VA with inbuilt timer though it just says its a magnetic type transformer and also happens to be a little bulky

Comments (3)