SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dfw17

Entire room of low voltage recessed cans w/separate transformer?

dfw17
13 years ago

Hi,

Five years after finishing our kitchen remodel - which involved moving a washer + dryer to the basement - my DH is finally finishing that "new" laundry room. Dry wall is up, and he is ready to do lighting and the drop ceiling. I want recessed cans for general lighting, plus a few specifically located over a clothes-folding/hobby table. There's also 1 wall of upper/lower cabinets (incl sink) that will need some lighting. I would be okay if these were also properly placed recessed lighting. (Ideally, we would do undercabinet lighting, but I'm trying to keep this project straight-forward so we finally get it finished!)

My DH wants to install all low voltage recessed lights connected back to one single transformer (which would be connected to the one line circuit that comes into the room, and is already connected to a switch). When I visited our local lighting store, I was told that the largest diameter low voltage recessed lights (without built-in transformers) available are 3" and they would not be powerful enough to light the entire room, plus they couldn't be reliably installed in a drop ceiling. (They would eventually fall out.)

My husband says hogwash. Help educate me please! (BTW, the room is approx 8 ft x 11 ft).

Thanks,

DJ

Comments (8)