SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elbell19

Dealing with designer + draftperson + errors

elbell19
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Greetings

This is our first time doing a remodel, so we're learning as we go here....but I have a couple of questions as to whether or not what is happening is "normal" and/or fair.

There is a bit of a longer backstory which I'll skip for now, as it's likely not totally necessary. I'll add it later, if needed.

Basically, designer referred us to drafter. Our requirements (via contractor) were that the drafter / engineer, etc. have experience submitting plans to our city office (to reduce chances of extended timelines due to revisions) and are able to comply with our timeline requests. They said they had experience and they could comply with our timeline.

Fast forward. Plans were 6 weeks late, causing all sorts of issues not the least of which made it impossible for me to be the laborer on the project which would have saved us about $3k. Plans took normal amount at city and were returned with the following corrections:

1. Provide three sets of revised plans and another copy (2 sets total) of Structural calculations, truss calcs with letter and bring in the XXX County Impact Fee Certification form that I am enclosing to The City of XXXX when you come to get your plans. You are exempt from this fee, but you must file this form with the XXXX School District for records.

2. Provide note on plans at S1 for EPA certified in Lead safe methods.

3. Provide Smoke alarms in every bedroom and a Smoke/Carbon Monoxide alarm combo in the area outside bedrooms to be hard wired and interconnected.

4. Provide applicable codes on the front of plans.

5. Provide Epoxy detail for re-bar into existing footings on foundation plan.

6. List placement of SSTB Hold down anchors on foundation plan.

7. Provide min. 6 mil. Thick vapor barrier under new slabs in conditioned spaces.

8. Provide re-bar detail for porch column footings listed on Pg. 8 of plans.

9. Provide 16 inch O.C. 2 by 4 studs for new walls instead of 2 ft. O. C. studs.

10. City of XXXX Municipal Code requires any construction project to produce an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (ESCP). The ESCP consists of the six page worksheet along with a site map showing the location of BMP included within the project plan sheets. The site map shall be on its own sheet and labeled Erosion and Sediment Control Plan. Please submit the six page worksheet and plans together in the same submittal.

The contractor informed us that most of these items should have been included in the original plans and were oversights. In addition, the plan reviewer stated there was 1 set of plans missing (e.g. they were 1 set short) and that a CD with PDF's of the plans was not included.

questions:

(1) does anybody have enough background to know whether or not such things should have been caught in the original plan submission, or is it impossible to armchair Q-back such a thing?

(2) We are not being billed for the additional time, but are being billed for the re-printing and the making of the PDF CD. Does this sound reasonable? I know it's not much $, but it just seems illogical given the situation.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Comments (19)