SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam

bob_cville
7 years ago

I have been spoiled. At the University where I work the systems support staff have been running a University-wide spam-blocking email filter behind the scenes, that has been remarkably effective, such that I would only get, maybe, a dozen spammy e-mails in a week. Until this past Monday when the amount jumped to about a dozen every hour.

Apparently the current systems support staff and management have decided that the existing filter solution designed under the previous regime was old or ineffective or expensive or something and therefore they decided to contract with a different provider to implement a new spam blocking solution. Their planned deployment of the new system fell behind schedule, and was not yet in place when, as of this past Monday, the license for the previous system expired. This has allowed a veritable deluge of spam through.

The worst of it though is that some of the "Spam" is downright evil. Many people (including me) have received a message with an attachment infected with malware. One co-worker reportedly simply clicked on the e-mail message in Outlook, and because he had the "preview-attachments" feature turned on, when the attachment appeared in the preview pane, it somehow executed its malware payload and renamed all the files on his system. From all reports many others here were affected as well. A different co-worker was told her computer was "totally hosed" and rather than expending effort to try to clean and restore it, they gave her a new computer.

They've said that cannot merely extend the license for the previous spam-blocking system, since the provider only renews the license on a year-by-year basis, and it is "expensive". I wonder how many machines being "totally hosed" it will take until the cost exceeds that expense.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES