SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

Best way to pay GC and subs?

lite1
7 years ago

Foundation soon to be poured on custom home and so will have over $700k in upcoming monthly invoice from GC who is trustworthy, yet want to be smarter about payments. 1st month I saw invoices from subs and paid GC one grand total check for all. Then I set up a joint checking account and put in money after I have approved monthly invoice. He has written a check for the total to his construction company, but I was expecting that he'd write numerous checks for each of the sub-contractor progress payments. I am planning to ask for:
1) check image from his own construction account of what he has paid monthly to each sub; OR
2) That checks be written out of our joint account.

I don't really have a strong preference, but wonder if contractors insurance policy would have any say in the matter? In case there is any claim, I wonder whether contractor would need to show that payment had come out of his construction checking account which I assume is the same account as paid for the insurance and which is the name on the policy.

While one never expects for a sub to put a lien on your house, unless I can prove that a sub was paid I could end up in trouble. There is just too much money involved and so being able to verify/confirm payments were made and in a timely manner is what I want to achieve.

Thanks for your advice and experience.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH