SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hewitt80

Kitchen Plans: Cabinet maker delivered two designs. Critique please

Cheryl Hewitt
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Our cabinet guy/KD came back to us today with two kitchen plans: our original and an alternate layout.

I added labels to the original to help identify the function of the various areas.

We'd welcome critiques of these plans.

A few notes: on the original plan I'm noticing that he has added 6" for electrical outlets to the prep island, which makes the aisle between the sink and island less than 48". I think we'd be open to using mockets to reclaim those inches. I would also be fine with doing away with the 9" baking sheet space, those can be housed over the wall ovens. The backside of this island is 9" deep and consists of doors and shelves for extra storage. We are planning to put an end grain butcher block countertop on this island, so I'm not sure if that would be an issue when it comes to mockets. Also, I saw in his notes that this size end grain butcher block countertop isn't recommended by several manufacturers. I'd love some input on this, too.

It appears that the aisle between prep island and cooktop is narrower than I had hoped. I think he made the fronts/sides towards the garage wall even, whereas I had the opposite sides even instead so that there was more aisle space on the cooktop side. I would be willing to drop the depth of the pantry on the opposite wall to regain aisle size. Currently the pantry is spec'd at 10" and he's allowed room for hardware and I had planned on press/release latches on the pantry.

Original Plan

Alternate Plan

TIA

Comments (70)