SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyd74

tips or recipes for additive free canning

I'm experimenting with small batches of totally additive free jams, pickles and other recipes - this means no pickle crisp in the pickles, no pectin in the jams, no sugar substitutes anywhere, no processed canning salt, no citric acid (lemon juice is OK), etc. A family member has some legitimate medical issues and won't eat anything remotely processed/chemicalized/extracted, or in her words, "anything I couldn't eat 200 or more years ago."

Logic or illogic aside, I'm interested in tips and experience you may have in making crisp and yummy pickles (multiple kinds of veggies, not just cucumbers), helping jams to set up and taste great without the pectin, and working with either no salt or with organic sea salt.

I did start already; the first two batches of jam were odd - the blueberry tasted better than the pectin added recipe, and set up just fine, and I'm thinking about replacing my old recipe and going with the no-pectin added. The sweet cherry on the other hand, while acceptable, tasted overly cooked - just not "fresh" enough. With both, I let the berries sit overnight in a sugar and lemon juice bath, strained the resulting mixture, and then mashed and boiled it slowly down until it was thick enough to set up. I did macerate the cherries more than the blueberries, though, because they were so much bigger.

Comments (5)