SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geniusjazz

Hardwood Flooring Questions

CCC
7 years ago

We just moved into a 1959 house with original hardwood flooring (in living room and two bedrooms). The original hardwood has just been refinished before sale, so it looks reasonably ok. However, as you can see in the photos, there are rows and rows of nailheads visible, and there are some gaps and crappy area in the corner. Other than those, there are quite some areas that have large squeaking sound when you walk on them. To add on that, our living room floor has a slope of more than 3-inch elevation drop from one side to another.

So, in order to resolve the issues mentioned, what would you guys suggest? I am open to another layer of laminate or vinyl on top of existing floor, but I am worried that it would devalue the house. Or is it possible and make sense to put on laminate or vinyl for 5~10 years then remove it to reveal the original hardwood floor when I move out? Or any other options?

Oh! One other thing to mention is that, our kitchen (next to the living room) has laminate flooring. I am not sure if that will affect any decision making?

Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestion.

Comments (4)