SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilayoung2004

Wide plank hardwood floor questions

Mike Peruzzi
8 years ago

Hi,

I have been reading up on wide plank hardwood (6") for my kitchen. I live in northern Ohio and have forced air heat in the winter and don't run the a/c too much in the summer. There is a basement under the kitchen where I get some condensation on the pipes a few days a year if I forget to run the dehumidifier.

I have settled on white oak and have the following questions:

Is rift and quartered significantly more stable to prevent issues like cupping, etc. ?

Is a vapor barrier under the planks a good idea? I read that allowing the boards to breath is a good idea and that a vapor barrier may just trap moisture on top of subfloor and rot that away.

Is coating the bottom of the boards to match the top of the boards so that the tops and bottoms are more likely to stay at the same moisture level a good idea to prevent cupping?

Any thoughts on boards with flat bottoms vs those with grooves?

Any thoughts on end matching vs not end matched? I read an old post than not matching the ends allows for movement so less likely to split boards at the end.

Gluing boards in addition to nailing? Some say glue will restrict movement and cause splitting, others that it will add stability and keep squeaks down.

If there are other issues I should be aware, please let me know. Thanks!

Comments (4)