SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threeboxerlover

Identifying hardwood floor question!!

My house was built around 1963 and there are hardwood floors through at least 1/2 the living space. Over the years, my ex husband has pulled up carpets and refinished the floors in two of the bedrooms. The hall and the stairs were not refinished, but the carpet is up. I decided to finish this project so I pulled up the carpet in the smallest bedroom which has never been used. Under the carpet I found a very stained and damaged floor. I know that at least some of the boards need to be replaced but I have no idea how to pick replacement planks. It also looks to be a different color than the hall which is a different color than the stairs? Not hugely different, but enough that the prefinished flooring sold wouldn't match all three places. I measured and it is 2 1/4 by 3/4 thick. Anyone know what species of wood was common in the 60s? these were upscale homes at the time if that helps. Should I just bag it and hire someone? The hall and stairs are in good shape, just need a light sanding to make them uniform and a couple coats of poly I think. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (12)