SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parker25mv

Thoughts on breeding new varieties of Quince for eating off the tree

parker25mv
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am thinking about trying to breed some better varieties of quince that are softer, like an apple, that people could enjoy eating raw.

To do this, I am thinking about introducing some apple or pear genes into the quince lineage through repeated crossbreeding. This is not going to be easy; anyone who has done any research into the subject knows that there are some huge difficulties trying to hybridize quince/apple/pear together. Because of incompatibility issues, the majority of seedlings are not going to survive, or may be so stunted that they are incapable of producing fruit. The seedlings that do survive are often highly susceptible to disease.

Breeding new varieties of quince is not necessarily easy. The quince variety 'Van Deman', for example, was selected by Luther Burbank from among 700 different crosses he had made between 'Orange' and 'Portugal'. He was trying to obtain the best qualities from both parents. Luther Burbank also experimented trying to crossbreed quince with pear, and quince with apple, but was unsuccessful at obtaining any fruit from the seedlings that survived. We do know today that it is possible, however.

hybrid between quince and apple

Any Pear or Apple varieties with an aroma like Quince?

These are the varieties I am looking at crossbreeding:

‘Karp’s Sweet’ quince

‘Crimea’ quince (also called ‘Krimskaya’)

‘Cole’s Quince’ apple (it certainly seems like it could be
an apple-quince hybrid)

‘Passe Crassane’ pear (supposedly resulted from a cross
between quince and pear)

‘Nurun Burun’ pear (rare variety from Azerbaijan, appears to
be a hybrid between European and Asian pear, and possibly quince too)

‘Comice’ pear (firm pear with excellent flavor, I suspect it
may have descended from ‘Passe Crassane’)

I suspect pears in this lineage are going to be a lot easier to crossbreed with quince than other pears. 'Comice', for example, is one of the few pear varieties considered compatible on quince rootstock.

Comments (7)