SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianb_co

My fruit tree plans - and quinces in Colorado?

ianb_co
16 years ago

Hello all -

Thanks for the warm welcome I've been given so far. In anticipation of my 2012 fruit deliveries, I've started placing orders with some nurseries for trees for my back yard. I'll probably post this as well on the fruit and orchard forum, but I'd greatly value any experience gleaned by the RM growers.

Background: we're on the northeast side of Boulder, on the flats. According to the soil map, and what little prospecting I've done, our soil is clay loam over sandy clay loam. There is a stream about 200 yards away (perhaps 10-12' below our yard grade), so I'd suspect the water table is relatively high here. The yard currently contains several healthy crabapples, a healthy willow (that will come out due to it being too close to the house) and several dying aspens (they don't like the low altitude).

I'm planning on planting the following trees, three to a hole at 10 to 15 foot intervals, along a south-facing 6' tall fence. I hope to keep them under 10' tall by summer pruning.

Pears (all on OHxF333, from Trees of Antiquity)

Comice

Seckel

Warren

Plums #1 (on St Julien; from One Green World)

Imperial Epineuse

Pearl

Shropshire Damson

Plums #2 (on Myrobalan; from Cummins)

Greengage

Oullins

Geneva Mirabelle

I've selected them for late blooming, good for cooking and fresh eating, and relative resistance to fire blight. Also, the Oullins gets mixed reviews on the flavor, but I'll likely keep it as a pollinizer for the green gage and as understock for trying to graft a couple of other gages.

Any thoughts? Have I gotten any mouths watering?

On a related note, I've given a little thought to putting two fruiting quinces in another corner. They're allegedly hardy to Zone 5; some research I saw at Cornell says they survive to -25F, though blossoms may be winter killed at -15, but it only gets down that far once a decade or so here. Anyone growing quinces in the RM area?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ian

Comments (11)