SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22188212

Zucchini Pesto

User
7 years ago

I don't know if I can call this "Pesto" but it tastes as good as any traditional pesto I've had. I was looking for a way to use the excess zucchini from my garden and it is always good to have recipes to recommend when you are handing someone zucchini you need to get rid of. Here is my recipe:

Garlic Lovers Zucchini Pesto:

1 medium zucchini washed and ends trimmed. Grate this and put in a cheesecloth lined colander with a pinch of rough salt to drain for 10 minutes or so. Fold cheesecloth around zucchini and then squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible.

heat 1-2 Tbs olive oil Medium/low. Add 1 tbs-or to taste-red pepper flakes and heat for a minute or so. Add zucchini and saute until soft, stir often so it doesn't burn 10 minutes or so.

Set zucchini aside to cool. While it cools, toast 3 Tbs pine nuts in oven at 350. Toast just until slightly brown. This doesn't take very long so keep an eye out. I let mine get too brown, almost burned, one time and the pesto was okay but not as tasty.

When nuts are finished toasting, add to blender in this order..

pine nuts/ 8 cloves crushed fresh garlic / hand full of chopped fresh basil leaves/ zucchini. Process for a few seconds then run the blender while you drizzle olive oil in just until the ingredients turn into a rough paste. Process until smooth.

Scrape into bowl and add finely grated Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup or to taste and salt and pepper to taste.

Comments (13)