SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetwotired

Help!!! Cabinet color change leads to hinges looking ugly! What to do?

TheTiredTwo
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
  • Our house was built in 1992 and has custom honey stained oak cabinets. We have a master bathroom, small guest bathroom and a small to medium sized kitchen.
    I would like to update the look of these cabinets and have already stained one bathroom a dark espresso.
  • We loved the new color until we looked at the exposed hinges, which are now standing out like sore thumbs. They are an antique brass finish and in researching new hinges, we can't seem to find these same type of hinges for sale in other finishes.
  • The closest we could find for a description is "variable overlay single demountable face mounted hinges".
    The hinge issue makes us wonder if we should look into refacing the cabinetry instead and thereby eliminate the hinge issue......a refacing update would come with updated hinges.

Questions:

1. Is it a good idea to spend less money and change the hinges from exposed to hidden and then keep going with my dark stain makeover?

2. Should we continue the hunt for the existing hinge style in a new finish? (Painting the existing hinges is not a long term solution, esp. Since there are a few broken ones). Also, there is no brand name, but they look like Amerock. I called them and they said that variable overlay hinges are no longer made. I'm not sure if that is true for other companies.

3. Should we consider spending more $ and replace all the doors and drawer fronts? We have 42 cab doors and 26 drawers. There are no pulls or knobs on them as they have a little slot for pulling open. I would like to add knobs and pulls but cringe at the thought of adding more antique brass finish hardware, which is really outdated.
Thanks for any advice or pointers you all may have for us. We are really stuck in our thought process on how to proceed!

The picture below shows what the cabinets look like with the new espresso color that is on this bathroom only. We LOVE the dark color!!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH