SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

Help! Ugly plywood cabinets! Part II, Finally!

swiss_chard_fanatic
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

View Part I here.

I've put up with these for 3 years and the time has come to do something about them. So here we go! DH and I are ready, but we are both more time-crunched than we were over 3 years ago (2 businesses to run) and so we have a handyman friend who is going to do the work.

BUT there is a chance he may not be able to do the job due to a long-term work project coming up that may get in the way, in which case, DH and I will be doing the cabinets ourselves (which means I'll be doing most of it--I'm less time-crunched).

I'm trying to work out the final details, and need more help and input (especially if our handyman can't do it and it falls to me):

1. The doors have bullnose edges. I want to put a shaker panel on all the doors and fill in the bullnose to make square edges. What is the best wood filler to use to fill in the knot holes, dents, dings, missing wood, bullnose edges, and other imperfections in these birch plywood cabinets? I previously used "Elmer's 32-oz Putty Wood Patching Compound" on a different project (dents and dings in the bedroom door) and it formed air bubbles and seemed extremely porous and flaky. I'm guessing this product is extremely insufficient for this job, so what to use instead? I'd like to use a material that will not form bubbles and will feel hard and solid when it dries.
  2. What should I use to do the sanding? An orbital sander? Grit sandpaper to start with, grit sandpaper to finish with? If it falls to me, I'll be doing insides and outsides, doors, etc. Lots of sq ft to cover.
  3. What is the best paint to use? Someone suggested BM Advance, but he didn't mention if he went with Satin, Semi-Gloss, etc. What's the best paint type and paint finish?
  4. Best paint color to use to achieve a warm white such as in the below picture (although I believe the warmth in this picture is due to lighting, not paint color, as the marble counter also appears to be warm when it's not). The warm white can't have any pink or green undertones in it.
  5. I do not like the "orange-peel" look that comes from brushing paint on; is a paint gun the only way to get a smooth finish? As a novice, I'm unfamiliar with painting techniques.
  6. What should I use to fill gaps that are up to 1/4" (such as between a cabinet divider and the wall)? At what stage of prepping or priming should the gaps be filled in?

For point #4: warm white example

Buena Vista Residence - Think White With A Touch Of Color · More Info

Comments (59)