SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fillymora

Root-Knot Nematodes in Z8b FL? Also own-root Austin roses fertilizing?

filly_z8bFL
7 years ago

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd check GW to see if anyone has had their soil tested near the Crestview-Pensacola area of FL for root knot nematodes? I could get a test done of my yard but the local UF facility charges $40 bucks for it. Sooo... Before I shell out my hard earned $$, Just checking if there are any local gardeners that had theirs checked? I am growing all own root roses- mostly Austins and I got one Meilland (Eden, of course!) bc I was new to gardening I didn't know about root knot nematodes. It seems like I see a lot of posts about them from FL rose gardeners. I ammended each hole with peat and peat humus with a little bone meal mixed in too.

I have definitely started composting this year and am planning on top dressing 1-2 times a year with that. I am also trying the no spray garden and fertilizing organically this year (no more bone meal even). Was planning on sticking to my compost, alfalfa meal, whole grain corn meal, egg shells, coffee grounds, banana peels, etc. I also buy heirloom roses' composted cow manure for them. any other advice for natural stuff roses love?? I fertilize monthly with Alaska fish fertilizer too.

I do have to say, so far I think I've been happy at tending to my roses since I've had minimal black spot and have had some pretty nice blooms. My 2 yr old plants are getting better and better, while my new plants I planted this spring have already given me a nice little spring flush and are giving me sporadic blooms since its summer now. I just keep reading so much about fortunia root stock and I don't like the idea of the risks with diseases, and suckers etc. plus I heard in time blooming gets better with age... So that's why I chose own root-seemed easier at the time. I just started wondering if I was north enough that RK nematodes weren't really a threat here?

thanks for the info. Sorry so long!!!

Comments (2)