SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

New organic versus old ways with woodchips & chemicals & Bayer spray

strawchicago z5
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My definition of new organic ways is to work with one's garden & pay attention to nature, rather than blindly follow someone. A smart guy in Organic gardening noticed that after he put layers of grass-clippings around his rose, the soil became soft and fluffy, compared to rock-hard-clay elsewhere in his garden.

One University Extension made the observation that wood-chips make the soil underneath more alkaline and harder. I got curious and dug a spot in total shade, where we dumped a load of wood-chips 8 months ago.

The soil underneath that wood-chip pile is rock-hard, I had to jump on my shovel to cut into the hard soil: bone-dry, life-less, no earthworms. See pic. below:

In another shady spot, we piled up dead tomato vines & tree branches with leaves .. we took the branches out to grind into woodchips, and left the leaves behind. I dug that spot up, and it's super-moist, crumbly, lots of earthworm. See pic. below:

Mixing woodchips with clay is worse .. it's fluffy for the 1st year, and afterwards it glued up with clay into concrete .. I dug up Comte de Chambord grafted on multiflora .. I made the soil fluffy with acidic pine bark and gypsum more than a year ago .. that became rock hard dry concrete, see below. NO SAND WAS USED !!

Comments (25)