SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_vinson

Appraisal/no appraisal?

patty Vinson
7 years ago

For those of you who have recently sold, did you get an appraisal, first? I'm in an area about 20 minutes outside of Austin and near a major expessway to downtown as well as easy access to tollroads. I really haven't a clue if any of this matters, but I know the property tax rate is a big consideration, and mine is lower than other areas outside of Austin. I live in an area with new construction, with the older area being about 12 yo, and my home almost 8 years old. I thought this was going to be my 'forever home' and have many custom features/upgrades, and am wondering if this affects an appraisal in any way. My lot size is bigger than the newer homes, so am also curious if that affects the appraisal. Are comps just comps, with sq ft, br/ba, and lot size the only consideration, or is there a slight chance I could recoup a few $$$? I think I was once told on this forum 10% could be added for upgrades~true/false? Thank you.

Comments (24)

• jrb451
    7 years ago

A good agent should be able to provide you with a market analysis that will take into consideration a lot of these items when coming up with a price. Zillow et al are just zip code algorithms.

patty Vinson thanked jrb451
  • rrah
    7 years ago

Appraisers will give some value to some upgrades. For example, brick will be an upgrade that is reflected in an appraisal. $1000 faucets won't be. Also don't get caught up in the "my lot is bigger" thing. If they are all typical suburban lots, size is pretty negligible. If your lot is also one of the largest in the neighborhood, it's not going to add a lot, if, any value. Going from .25 of an acre to .35 of an acre is insignificant overall. Going from .5 acres to 10 acres is significant.

patty Vinson thanked rrah
  • Related Discussions

Appraisals before and after --- issues already...

Q

Comments (23)
    We had loads of mistakes too in our apprasial. We were with a national bank, local branch. It is not as easy as saying choose someone else - this guy doesn't know what he is doing. Apparently, there have to be egregious errors, and miscalculations that he can easily rectify don't count. At least that is what I was told. Our guy refused to make any changes, other than obvious ones (missing bathrooms, missing square footage, etc.), but disregarded several more appropriate comps our (very experienced) real estate found that he had missed. To have switched apprasiers would have required many steps above our mortgage lenders head, going out of his office to the regional people, etc. So they lost the loan. It was very very frustrating because we were putting 40 percent down on the house, if you include the land which we own outright. Sitting down is a good first step, but I would also have a real estate agent look at the comps the appraiser found and see if he is missing any. This is the easiest way to up the appraisal. Our appraiser included as a comp a house my builder built 3 years ago as a spec house. It was listed for 1.2 million for over a year and sold for 800k. That was much less than the other spec house he built in the same subdivision, listed for 1.2 and sold for 1.2. You can guess which comp they used. . .
    ...See More

Do high tension wires affect appraisal?

Q

Comments (1)
    For tax assessment purposes, I don't think there will a difference in taxes or values of like properties. However, an appraiser most likely will make some small adjustment in the market value, when comparing the subject property to 3 others that don't have high tension wires. These adjustments can be quite subjective, just like a home with a "view" vs. one without it.
    ...See More

Short sale appraisal

Q

Comments (3)
    I should clarify. The first mortgage broker we went to, ordered the appraisal for a different loan, that we don't qualify for, after he assured us that we would qualify for this specific loan. When he drug his feet for over 2 weeks, to get us the application, we shopped for a new loan. Only after we had a new mortgage broker, he told us we didn't qualify for this specific loan. This was even before we told him we got a new loan. During this time, the appraisal was done and sent to us. We then forwarded it to our RE agent and the new mortgage broker, to do something about the discrepancy. Now, our RE agent got the appraiser to change the numbers on the appraisal. From a bit of online research, it seems we are not the only people that appraisals for their short sale, have come in over contract price. I have not read in any circumstance, that I could find, has the appraiser been asked to change their original numbers. I would think that an appraiser would be in fear for their license, as this constitutes fraud.
    ...See More

How to prepare for refi appraisal

Q

Comments (5)
    What they said. I have always prepared a list of all of the improvements we've made and a list of 4-5 suggested comps, as well. When it's relevant, I also include homes that may look like they are comps on paper and explain why I believe they are not (e.g., they are fixer uppers, they are in a different school zone, etc.) We have never had appraisers actually touch anything (they just take photos) so appearance is more important than function...once we had an appraisal right before finishing a remodel and I was dreading the moment that the appraiser tried to open a cabinet door that was not actually attached yet, or looked behind a door at the unpainted trim--but she didn't touch a thing, snapped a few photos of the rooms, and moved on. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • 3katz4me
    7 years ago

I did not have any appraisals on the homes I sold last year, one of which I sold FSBO. I had however been following the market closely for a couple years so I had a good idea what comparable properties were selling for. The house I sold through a realtor had few comparable properties but we both agreed on what we thought it should be listed at based on one or two similar homes that had sold last year.

patty Vinson thanked 3katz4me
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

What type of many custom features/upgrades and how much larger is the lot?

I'm building a new home and I know the bank did give a bit for the fact our lot will be larger. Plus they also added to our appraisal based on number of bathrooms, and the fact we're adding a fireplace. I believe the pool also added to it but that's because we're in FL. Other things we're adding did not add to the appraisal from the bank.

patty Vinson thanked cpartist
  • MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

If there are a lot of sold homes in your neighborhood then you have a pool of homes to compare. Appraisers use the same comps realtors use, so I would just use a realtor. Make an upgrade list to give to the realtor.

Also, property tax rate isn't a consideration at all. At least not in Texas.

patty Vinson thanked MagdalenaLee
  • sis33
    7 years ago

I sold a house recently using a flat fee listing service. Before listing I asked 3 realtors for CMAs. I was upfront that I intended to market it myself at least initially. I finally decided to list it $30,000 above the highest of the 3 values because I felt that the realtors were undervaluing the lot. There had been really no comparable sales in the area to give me a good indication of value. My house sold in 4 days at full asking with back ups also at full asking. I still believe that realtor CMAs offer good guidelines but at the end of the day if you have been watching the house sales in your area, following similar homes for sale to see how soon they sell or if they have to drop the price, and perhaps have visited competing properties to make comparisons with yours, your own 'appraisal' may be pretty close. Good luck!

patty Vinson thanked sis33
  • sushipup1
    7 years ago

Back to the OP.... it's a matter of terminology. Do not confuse an appraisal with a competitive market analysis. The appraisal is done for the buyer and his bank, and works with the recent sold properties in your area to determine how much the bank will loan. The CMA is done by RE agents, and will include not only recently sold properties but also other homes that are on the market in your area. If you talk to at least three active agents in your area, and have each do a CMA for you, that's the info you will need to price your home to sell.

patty Vinson thanked sushipup1
  • patty Vinson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I 've looked at the CMA's and they all feature 'builder's grade' features, not upgraded features, ie;hand scraped wood flooring, tile, kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, light fixtures, interior/exterior door hardware, exterior front door, and garage doors. These are the more expensive upgrades. I'm not sure of granite/SS, but don't consider them a big deal, and really don't give two hoots if they are or not. I was on zillow just to try and get some sort of idea, even though I know it's not a reliable source. As a basic house in the area it's 'valued' by zillow at $249K. With all the upgrades, my cost was $284K when built 8years ago. The home is in very good condition and should show well imo. I'm just trying to get a 'handle' on what the house would possibly list for *before* contacting an agent.

Thanks everyone for your input.

• emma1420
    7 years ago

I don't know about your area, and price point, but in my area upgraded garage doors, bathroom vanities aren't really going to increase the sales price. They may make the house sell more quicky but they won't increase the price. The hardwood floors are a selling point if all the comparables have carpet, but if the comparables have hardwoods and your upgrade is handscraped then I suspect it won't add much.

i would get some realtors to give you a CMA and then ask them about the upgrades and if they add to the sales price.

patty Vinson thanked emma1420
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

ie;hand scraped wood flooring, tile, kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, light fixtures, interior/exterior door hardware, exterior front door, and garage doors. These are the more expensive upgrades. I'm not sure of granite/SS, but don't consider them a big deal, and really don't give two hoots if they are or not.

None of those things will make your house worth more than the builder grade houses. Not one of them. Those are all cosmetic things and taste specific. It will help your house show better. If your house shows better AND your house is priced competitively with the other houses, (meaning asking the same price) then yours would most likely sell before the others.

Your extra land, depending on how much larger may make your property worth slightly more.

You can't use Zillow for a CMA.

• charintx (z 8b, central Texas)
    7 years ago

Patty,

I don't know where you are in the Austin area, but we just sold our house in Leander for full asking price before it ever went on MLS. We are building a new house and didn't want to put it on the market until the new build was done. Our Realtor had it as a pocket listing knowing we didn't want to move twice. The couple we sold it to had looked at other houses and new builds and just didn't find what they wanted. This too was to be our forever house and when I retired I remodeled thinking that. I replaced all the floors with wood look tile, painted the inside, remodeled the master bath, restained the kitchen cabinets, put in new kitchen countertops, put crown molding in the living area and replaced all the baseboards with larger base, replaced the sliding patio door with double french doors and enlarged the patio. They walked in and fell in love. So much so that we are leasing the house back until the new house is done. We weren't sure it would appraise for what we asked but it passed with flying colors, no problems. Right now the market is really hot in this area so properties aren't lasting on the market and it's a sellers market. Look at the houses in your neighborhood that are listed and see how yours compares, then talk to a good Realtor. Good luck with your sell. I hope yours is as easy as ours was.

patty Vinson thanked charintx (z 8b, central Texas)
  • patty Vinson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Emma and Cpartist, so my 2700 sq ft house irreguardless of any upgrades is comparable to a builders grade, bare bones home? Well as Frank Sinatra once sang, Ain't That a Kick in the Head. lol I'm confident the house will show quite well, and i'll recoup a good portion of my upgrades, but will remove the light fixtures and hang the builders grade back up. Only time will tell.....and possibly the right realtor.

Charintx, I can relate! I had an offer on my home in Ca before it hit the market $5K less than asking, and a cash back up offer at full price. The first party was given the opportunity to come up the $5K, and got the house, but I probably would have chosen them anyway since they were a young couple and this was their first home. The house was very clean, and a friend and I staged it very well, but it was a bare bone builders grade home, and in a good location. I'm 20 minutes out of Austin in a growing area, and most new homes with the same sq ft are $300+K from looking at the comps, and the tax rate is lower than Austin, which I also feel is a plus. Like yourself, I know someone will walk in and fall in love. Buying a house is a very emotional experience!

• cpartist
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

, but will remove the light fixtures and hang the builders grade back up.

Frankly when I just sold my condo, I removed all my quality light fixtures, packed them up to be put in my new build and got inexpensive light fixtures that looked good for resale.

I also had some expensive cabinet pulls in my two bathrooms and replaced them with basic HD ones.

Emma and Cpartist, so my 2700 sq ft house irreguardless of any upgrades is comparable to a builders grade, bare bones home? Well as Frank Sinatra once sang, Ain't That a Kick in the Head. lol I'm confident the house will show quite well, and i'll recoup a good portion of my upgrades,

The point is if all the builder basic houses in your neighborhood are selling for $300k then you may get $310k. So even if you put 50k in, you won't get it back. As mentioned, it will make your house show better and will probably make it sell much quicker. You don't want to price it above the other houses in the neighborhood because no one wants to buy the most expensive house in a neighborhood.

What happens if you're priced too high is one of two things. Either lots of folks will come through looking to see why you're the most expensive house in the neighborhood but won't write you an offer. So you'll wind up having to drop your price. Once you have to start dropping your price, it makes your house feel less desirable.

Or someone will come in with a very lowball offer to see where you might go.

From what you've said it's still a builder basic house, that you made nicer.

• patty Vinson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks again for your honest opinions! The most diffucult part for me is knowing when I leave this house I won't have the nice upgrades in the house I purchase since prices have increased in value for the basic house. With that said, this house *isn't * a standard builders grade home, but high end build having won awards several years in a row in Austin, as well as Dallas.. My home was the last home built by them 8 years ago. There were many lots left and a Ca builder came in and purchased the lots left in the development, but the homes are not of the caliber of the older homes, in many of the finishes. Sure, the sq ft may be there, and I do know in the end, that's the only thing important to the lender. I'll just cry when I leave. ;(

• jrb451
    7 years ago

When we bought our home it had a newly installed top rated energy efficient, Geo-Thermal heating and cooling system. In the side by side +/- comparison sheet with 3 comps this feature carried no additional value when compared to the other houses without. All 4 simply noted "central HVAC", check.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Look at it as having enjoyed your upgrades for when you were in the house. As having given you pleasure.

As for not being able to get the same upgrades, maybe the thing is to buy or build a smaller house so you can enjoy the upgrades you want.

• emma1420
    7 years ago

A lot of the upgrades that you mentioned aren't cosmetic. For most people a garage door is a garage door. They won't pay more for a house that has a nicer one, etc.. I just bought a house, and the houses I saw that had better quality fixtures and fittings, were far more appealing to me. I wasn't going to pay more, but those houses sold more quickly. I think most buyers want homes that have been well maintained and usually those better quality fixtures tend to communicate that a home has been well maintained. So you probably won't get more for your house, but I bet it sells far more quickly than the competition.

• User
    7 years ago

When I was a kid my parents bought a nice home with a detached garage. It was only after they moved in that they realized it did not have a garage door.

They sold it about 5-6 years later and the new owners never mentioned that the garage door was not there - I presume "disclosures" had not come into play yet - at least in a codified manner.

• patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

I've been so indecisive about putting my house on the market i've come to the conclusion i'm waiting until next spring. The market may have cooled, but that's the chance i'll have to take, and deal with. Hopefully my head will be where it needs to be. ;)

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

ie;hand scraped wood flooring, tile, kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, light fixtures, interior/exterior door hardware, exterior front door, and garage doors. These are the more expensive upgrades. I'm not sure of granite/SS, but don't consider them a big deal, and really don't give two hoots if they are or not.

cpartist wrote -None of those things will make your house worth more than the builder grade houses.

I think it depends on the area and market. I live in a 90s builder grade cookie cutter neighborhood that is sought after because of the school district. The houses that have no updates/upgrades have sold for 235-260 over the last year and a half... The same homes that have upgrades sold for 290-305... It could be the "hot" market where I'm at, but I know without a doubt, here in STL, the homes with the right zip codes, sell for more $$ when they are upgraded (especially when they feature the "in-style" new kitchen or hardwood floors)

Common sense tells us a new kitchen isn't cheap.. Upgrades done right are worth paying more. It's just like looking at an all brick home or a home with all siding.. you can expect to get more for the all brick home, same thing applies to nice upgrades, especially in a hot market.

It comes down to location & market imo...

• cpartist
    7 years ago

The houses that have no updates/upgrades have sold for 235-260 over the last year and a half... The same homes that have upgrades sold for 290-305

Yes, in a hot market in a "good" neighborhood, updated will sell for more IF other homes in the same market have been updated to the same standards.

My apartment is a prime example. I sold for one of the highest prices in my "good" building. Why? Because I had put in all the "expected" upgrades without being too taste specific. (Well maybe my granite was.) Because our building is a sought after building, I was able to sell at close to my asking. But I was able to because there were other condos in my building that had also been updated that had sold at around the same price.

Other properties in my building that weren't updated have been selling for considerably less money. Just like your example.

However, as an example, if I was in another building where 99% of the people had decided to go with the builder's basic, carpet, kitchen, etc but I decided to put in an upgraded kitchen, hardwood floors, etc, there is no way I'd get more than the other 99% in my building who had decided the builders basic was good enough.

Put another way, if all the houses are selling in the neighborhood for $230 it really doesn't matter how many upgrades you put in. If yours is the only one with the upgrades, you won't get $290. You'll get maybe $240 or you'll get $230 but yours will sell much quicker.

• User
    7 years ago
    Cpartist - very good points and thanks for the examples :)

I didn't read all the comments so maybe this was discussed, but I guess I was just trying to give some hope to the OP that maybe she could ask more $$ with the upgrades. Of course we have to be realistic too and I don't know all the details so I was just offering another point of view.