SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
12crumbles

20Achild proofed electrical outlet showering sparks as plugged in

12crumbles
7 years ago

I had new 20A outlets installed in a kitchen cabinet. They have the child-proof feature which makes it very difficult to insert the plug. It requires great force. The problem is that as I am trying to insert a plug there is a shower of sparks which come out. I have been able to force the plug in. The attached microwave does work once the plug is forced in. I asked the electrician - he says they always do that. I asked the electrical inspector (it sent out the sparks for him, too). The electrical inspector said they all do that.

I find this bizarre. What if I had a nearby gas appliance or something flammable near the outlet? I'm in a small town and the electrical inspector inspects this electricians work all the time. I was told by another in-town plumber who does (and did for me) work in the kitchen and he said that this electrician has trumped the inspector every time the inspector has called into question an aspect of this electrician's work. So, I do not trust the opinion of either the inspector or the electrician. I worry about this, so I am asking here- Is it normal and typical that inserting a plug into a child-proofed outlet causes sparking? Not just one spark, a shower of sparks.

Can anyone sooth my fears and tell me that sparking outlets are normal and not dangerous?

Comments (18)