SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_kiesel

Kohler k-5529-na Steam Shower Always Making a Knocking Noise

joseph_kiesel
4 years ago

I am trying to figure out what to do about a steam shower generator I have had in my house for the past year. I had it professionally installed and when in use it works great. The problem I have is after I use it. For about 24 hrs after use the device (which is in a closet) sounds like it is constantly heating water and makes a knocking noise (literally a knock every 5 seconds). Then after the 24 hrs, the knocking/popping noise is reduced to every few minutes. Then if not used for days I hear a couple knocks about every 5 minutes. I wouldn't really care too much about this but I can hear the knocking in the wall and ceiling in the den that is below the generator which is reallllllllllly annoying when working.

I don't really like that they put so many 90-degree bends in the outlet pipe. Which would be at least 4 since the shower is the left of the generator not directly behind it but at least there are no steam traps. I was told by Kohler to put a PRV valve in to help but I have no idea where it should go, assuming the pipe on the top going to the water shutoff.

Video of the sound that occurs every 5 minutes and lasts for 30 seconds: https://youtu.be/q_1TC2bkzi4

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH